The Truck Thread

Clean and it's an 05-07 so it has the coil spring front end with its better ride and much sharper turning radius! Is it a 450 or 550? Looks like a 7' CA/11' frame, same as my 550. My 550 turns almost as sharp as my Civic, way better than my 2000 F550.

'06 F450 XL SD, 146k mi, one-owner (NC), turbo diesel, manual trans. Haven't found a scratch, dent or slit in the cab yet. Ran and drove great on the near 300mi trip home.

Carl, yeah I was surprised at the tight turning radius when I had to pull a u-turn last night.

With the ability to wrap sections of the vehicle no problem, I certainly wouldn't paint information on a work vehicle.

I wonder how those vehicle wraps would hold up on a chip truck. I usually see them on delivery type vans and cars.

Point taken Carl. I haven't decided yet and know places I can get either done that I've dealt with before that are both great to work with and do good work.

I haven't priced anything out yet but i'm guessing paint is more $. It also looks much better to my eye.

Brendan, came from Ford as "uncompleted vehicle", so I'm guessing it's always been a chip truck. It is two wheel drive, I looked at a couple 4x4s but didn't like the trucks for the $ they wanted for them. I'm really not planning on putting it anywhere I would need 4 wheel drive (especially since the mini purchase), so didn't see it as all that necessary.

Buy a set of single chains with the half-disc adjusters for the outer wheels and you can go just about anywhere an unchained 4x4 can. If you roll the inner wheels up on a short piece of 2x8, chains are easy and fast to install.

Nice truck. I really havent used 4x4 on my chip truck much either. Low range to back up a steep drive would be all I can recall. That could be accomplished with a gear splitter though.

Sometimes the piece of mind knowing that I can get out a dump spot is worth it though.

I don't use it much either. I do use the hell out of 4 lo, with hubs unlocked. My truck is geared high, so it really helps backing up and what not.

I use the heck out of my 550's 4 wd, but I'm dragging a big dump trailer through hell and high water at the dump.

Ordered 4 tires today for it, you can nearly see the air in the tires that are on it.

Nice truck, Dave, good luck with it. It occurs that your band could rehearse inside, the base might sound awesome.

Think about doing the DPF delete on the 6.0 motor. The emissions stuff really clogs them up and gets them too hot. Lots of turbo and headgasket failures out there with the 6.0.

Nice truck though!

I gotta post up some pics of the 11t crane my buddy and I bought in December.

Back