The Truck Thread

A couple people have asked me so I'll post an update here. My truck overheated on the way in yesterday afternoon and died on the interstate off ramp. Had it towed to the mechanic. This morning it actually started right up and they were unable to find any computer codes. They pulled the radiator and sent it out for cleaning and will check for any other symptoms once they get it running again tomorrow. Looks like I dodged a bullet this time.

Cat motor goes into reduced power(limp) mode when a certain temp is reached. I suspect that saw dust has built up on the fins and reduced the ability to cool the truck during interstate runs.

The dash will light up like a Christmas tree. And the motor will shut down if the temp doesnt come down rather quickly.

I hope it's just the radiator.

I never like it when something of mine goes wrong and you can't find the "real" problem. Hard for me to trust it when that happens.

Well the breakdown happened exactly like Scott described. From the time the truck sputtered and the check engine light came on I was able to drive about 3-4 miles at 40 mph or so until I got to the exit ramp closest to my mechanic. As soon as the motor dropped to idle speed as I slowed, it quit.

Cool that it is looking to be minor, Brian. I was going to suggest you take some of what might have been the major expense and put it into the mustang, but naw...

WOW Brian.. That is awesome news. I was hoping you got by this one. I would of bought one of those 200Ts to help out with the fix though if you needed the cash8)

Just found out the radiator was plugged, and one core is about ready to split. The shop is trying to hunt down a new radiator now.

I figured it had to be plugged from the inside; you're pretty particular about keeping sawdust and road gunk off the outside.

That's the one good thing about about electronic engine control .If it's working correctly it can save you a ton of money by saving the engine .

Imagine what could have happened had it cracked a head .ooooh not good at all .

FWIW a few years back when a few of you tried storm chasing a local yokel had a Detroit shut down on him pulling the mountains of Tenn or West Va .Turns out the damned thing just didn't have enough radiator for such stuff .The kid never knew it at the time he bought it .It cost him a tow back to Ohio but it could have been far worse .

Not completely good news, but it's fixed. $1847 total with $1100 of that for the radiator. This guy has some really steep markup I think. Good work but damn it hurts paying the bill!

And it's still not running. Well, it was running for a couple hours sitting in the garage but as soon as they went to back it out it died. Now he thinks the high pressure fuel pump is shot (another very expensive part). I'm going to just have to block it out of my mind for a while and deal with it next week.

Damn Brian. That's a super expensive radiator and exactly the reason I have invested time and money in doing and being able to do all of my repair work of recent. As long as their work is great and they stand behind it it's not bad dealing with a shop, I haven't found that shop yet though. Sooner or later the sting comes somewhere.

I sure hope it gets sorted for you quickly and not to much more expensively.

They couldn't have just re-cored it?

41zz6rbd0ml_sl500_aa216_gif.jpeg

These are good friends of mine http://www.radiatorsupplyhouse.com/ if you want a price comparison call and ask them, them ship nationwide. Hope they cut you some slack since they seem to be just throwing parts at it. Perhaps you can get the old one hot tanked, pressure tested and re sold

Willie, they said the old one had one section that was bulging when they pressure tested it and it was only flowing about half of what it should. They recommended against trying to salvage it and I agreed. My mechanic didn't do the actual radiator testing, it was sent out to the biggest, best known radiator shop in town. They don't have their own website but here's their listing on Yahoo-
http://local.yahoo.com/info-14115383-prater-radiator-warehouse-incorporated-orlando

I bought 5 11X22.5 tires and four wheels for the rear of my bucket truck today. Getting rid of the 900X20 split rims.

I've got a challenge for you Ford guys. 2002 F350.

Challenge #1- Radio must turn off when I turn the key off. Why the hell do they think I want the F****** radio on with the key off? I'd turn it to ACC if I did.

Challenge #2- Dome light must not come on unless I open the door, and must go off when I close the door. Dome light also must NOT come on when I shut the ignition off. If I want the dome light on, I'll turn it on, or open the F****** door.

Challenge #3- Either make this thing put out power equivalent to its fuel consumption, or provide economy in line with it's lack of ambition. 9 mpg? Are you serious? The Hemi in our farm truck gets 12 and it runs like a race car, my truck can't spin a tire on an ice patch.

Dave...lay back, close your eyes, picture soft waves lapping up on a quiet shore. Sssshhhhhhh.....you are the only one on the beach.....

...while in the background my truck slowly burns to the ground, that funny electrical smell having finally revealed itself.....

Back