The Truck Thread

The 883 Sportster is traditionally a smaller rider's first experience with a Harley. But then came the 1200 Sportster, a whole nother animal.

I've ordered forward controls for it, although I don't have trouble with leg discomfort after that first ride. It's certainly not a cruiser, but it seems like a great in town ripper. So far the farthest I've gone nonstop is about 40 miles. Its getting about 45mpg, and it'll break triple digits no problem. Haven't worked up the stones to lift the front though.

You'd for sure beat me on the quarter mile, Brian. Stop light to stop light would be in my favor I'd think.

Well that didn't take long, and I'm sure I'll get annoyed by some responses, but I laid it down tonight missing a kid riding his bike down the middle of the road. I'm ok, the bike is ok; I drove home. Long story shortened to bullet points:

One lane in each direcetion, center turn lane.
No one in front or behind me, a few cars approaching in the other lane ~1/4 mile down the road.
I see one kid riding bike towards me down my shoulder. He moves to the outside of the shoulder and I move to the inside of my lane.
Until I'm right up on them, I don't see the two black kids in the center lane.
The one closest to me I see last as he's wearing black clothes, and he's mighty near the line and swerves towards my lane.
I swerve in response, and down I go.

I'm sure more experiance would have been a help.
A riding jacket would have prevented the road rash on my arm, riding pants (instead of Carhartts) would have kept the lil bit of rash off my knee, and gloves would have kept the little bit off my hand.

Anywho, that's that.

I didn't realize there was more to the story than your FB post, Carl. In Mass, bicycle riders have to follow the same rules of the road vehicles do, including head and tail lights at night.

Definitely invest in some riding gear; it's cheap PPE, bro. Glad to hear you're okay, and yeah... more experience is always a plus. Laying a bike down properly is also a skill that can prevent your little injuries from being bigger ones- so you did okay. It's always hard for me to remember that riding the GoldWing, I've got a lot more protection than you have on that cafe racer or my ZX14.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's good to hear you're still with us, Carl. Now slow down, get a louder horn and a brighter headlight(s).

That's the thing, people using the roads and having absolutely no common sense. When bike commuting, I regularly encounter people on bikes at night with no light and on the wrong side of the road heading on a collision course. :O A curve can be deadly. It is required to reprimand them. :X

And that's the reason I drive like there's an idiot about to pull out in front of me at every corner- 'cuz there often really is.

Carl, have you ever considered taking one of the defensive driving courses such as the Smith System or National Safety Council? I've taken and recommend both.

$370 for the parts, excluding the lower exhaust that has a little rash near the tip. Cheaper than I thought.

Yeah, I was thinking of taking a class before this. :lol: The dealer has a class coming up in July, but it's 90 miles one way and the class is stretched over 3 or 4 days. Was looking for other options. I ride the same way, but I can't avoid what I can't see. I moved over and slowed down for the dude on the shoulder, but couldn't (or at least didn't) see the people in the middle of the road.

Heading to the pharmacy to see if there is some clear bandaging or some other more discreet way to cover my left arm. Got stumps to grind and don't feel like getting the dirt off/out of it, it's still weeping and not scabbing over.

And we didn't even have time to finish the "when will Carl crash the bike" lottery. :lol:
I guess everyone gets a refund. :P

Glad everything worked out ok for you Carl. :)

Carl, my personal experience is that athletic tape is much better for guys like us than first aid tape for wrapping bandages and then working in the heat. It doesn't get gooey and at the end of the day it peels off without a lot of fuss or leftover sticky residue on your skin. I replaced all the tape in my first aid kits with athletic tape.

Pretty cheap repair bill, for a Harley. :thumbup:

Carl, I wasn't suggesting you could have avoided them- if you don't see 'em, you don't see 'em. The courses I listed I think are also available on-line; they aren't the motorcycle rider's course (which is also a great idea), something a little different- but still very worth taking. I got a sweet discount on my Commercial Auto policy for those.

Are you looking for that thin shiny-looking stuff they pack steaks with? (Sorry, best way I could describe it...) Or the clear tape? (Which is 3M DuraPore)?

A liquid bandage, what I found first was Nexcare Liquid Bandage by 3M. I also picked up some "New-Skin" for an alternative. I might have to wrap it to grind stumps, but hopefully I can groundy in the morning without issue. Wrap draws too much attention.

I did wrap it last night so it wouldn't make a mess of the bed.

Glad your not severely hurt, Carl.

One of the reasons why I'll probably never own a street bike capable of over 30MPH, it's dangerous driving in a car with every one around you let alone on two wheels. I'm not giving up the Tomos anytime soon though! ;)

That self adhesive bandage is groovy stuff. Odd that the local hospitals don't use it, still the old fashioned gauze with white tape. I was told that it's due to the greater expense. Maybe for vip patients. :roll:

Back