The Truck Thread

Looks like the metal "crystallized" during the heat treat process. I had a ring gear do the same thing years ago. Sounded like a shotgun going off when it blew! Made a hole the size of my fist in the cover plate, hell of a mess!
I agree, I'd certainly replace both, and the oil to remove the fragments of metal, if you have the funds.

One broke, the other may not be far behind, and the only way to really know is to magnaflux it, which would probably cost about as much as the new axle.

Before Steve and I took it apart, he was advised by an older mechanic that it was most likely the right side axle and that they break on those big bucket trucks with some regularity. But I'm not getting why the left side should be changed as well.

Maybe it's just me, I break one wheel stud, I replace them all. I change the brakes, I do both sides, need one spark plug, change them all. One axle breaks under stress, I figure the other isn't far behind, keep the old one for a spare or back up, but I don't think I'd trust it full time anymore. Again, maybe it's just me.

Just my precautionary thinking, Brian. The same amount of force was applied to both axles. I guess I'd rather replace it now, than have it snap the next time I got stuck, or something.

I still don't get what you mean by your comment "it was ready to let go", though.

The other axle more than likely will have some stress wear,Same as the axle that broke.

It's your call on changing it.

I would be inclined to pick up both axles at a junk yard and just change the broken one. Right side is the one that usually goes.

Marking them R and L might be a good idea. They are so hard they it might not make any difference. I know on drag cars (super stock) they mark the axle with a straight line and after it gets a twist to it they change them. I was wondering if putting reverse stress on the axle might have had something with it letting go.

That turned out ok for you Brian, a lot cheaper than a new rear end. I just replaced mine, not as big as your truck but still cost me a few bucks that's for sure.

Also a good place for it to go, unlike when I broke one once. Way over loaded and thirty miles from home late afternoon.

Somehow ended up just off the road. That didn't stop a drunk driver clipping the side of the truck while I was pulling the axle out on the other side. Scared the **** out of me, I didn't know what happened.

He pulled up about a hundred yards down the road and passed out, I was just going to leave him there as I'd already found a second hand axle and I just wanted to get home but a woman across the road called an ambulance. Great, they called the cops. That was fun until they woke him up, then they forgot about me. He was not a happy drunk, he was going to kill them and me. They managed to get him in their wagon after about five minutes and some fancy footwork.:laughing6:

I got going not long after. Just another day.

About the only kind I ever seem to run into- the biggest reason I stopped going to bars and clubs.

Gets old when all you want to do is have some fun dance or what not and some drunk ass is just looking to pick a fight over your wife or GF.
Hell, after Gerry and Terry left to go back to the motel, Kat and I stayed a tad longer as I was asked to sing a duet with a lady I have known for a long time. I no sooner got out of my chair, I had two idiots setting to fight each other and myself for Kat. They don't call it liquid stupidity for nothing.

Well that plus the Ohio state police force took all the fun out of bar hopping .Well looking back I thought it was fun but maybe I was just kidding myself .

I used to like going out and having a few - expensive mistake if you are over the line now. It is hard to know exactly where the line is too. Only been on the road twice when I shouldn't have. Slow and cautious helps, not good though.

I left early for Tampa and was home well before noon with the new axle, but it took going to three different local parts houses to find the rest of the hardware (nuts, shims, two bent studs). I put the old axle in first, piece of cake. The new axle didn't fit. Then I noticed it wasn't quite the same as the old one. Seems my friend Steve transposed the last two digits in the axle number so I got the wrong one.

So after going back to the local parts house where we originally ordered the driveshaft, I found out the one I really needed was $300 instead of $160. Longer splines because it's a locking rear end. That one was in Tampa as well, so another trip to Tampa this afternoon. Home by about 4:30 and got it put together. Then I went to do my emergency removal and got that on the ground. I re torqued the axle nuts after driving it to the job and back home, I'll check them again in a couple days and again after a hundred miles or so.

Back