The Truck Thread

If I'm not mistaken Cailfornia passed a law mandating more pollution efficient engines in older equipment including off road stuff like pan scrapers and dozers .

Yep. They did Al. Another year or two and I'll have to park my truck. My truck is having some trouble. A crunching noise alternating with a rattling noise was coming from the bell housing and I pulled the tranny and a couple of the bolts that hold on the bellhousing were loose and one was hitting the flywheel. I'll see if I can get some pics.

Just got a call from the dealer, like I figured it's either a cracked cup or a cracked head (Internal crack connecting the fuel rail to the coolant). The ESP warranty won't pay to replace a cracked cup, they pay to replace the head. :Whoot:

They're running the diagnostics on it now, which consists of pulling the injectors, lining the cups with a soap film, and trying to blow bubbles by pressurising the coolant system. From what I understand, this rarely works due to pressure and temp differences. The fuel is at 50psi while the coolant is at ~16psi, also with the heads being cold cracks tend to close up, making it tougher to find.

I got the starter, and bell housing pulled off today. Ordered a housing gasket, bolts and washers, and a crankshaft seal, they will be in on Monday. Nothing broken. This has leaked since I first installed this motor, but has gotten steadily worse over time.

Just got a call from the dealer, like I figured it's either a cracked cup or a cracked head (Internal crack connecting the fuel rail to the coolant). The ESP warranty won't pay to replace a cracked cup, they pay to replace the head. :Whoot:

They're running the diagnostics on it now, which consists of pulling the injectors, lining the cups with a soap film, and trying to blow bubbles by pressurising the coolant system. From what I understand, this rarely works due to pressure and temp differences. The fuel is at 50psi while the coolant is at ~16psi, also with the heads being cold cracks tend to close up, making it tougher to find.

Usually for a cracked head they magnaflux it to check for cracks.

A buddy of mine who's father owns an Allison transmission repair shop stopped by to check the codes on my transmission. I have a small leak but everything else is fine. While stall testing it the rear end broke, so the truck is now immobile in front of my house. :( At least it didn't happen on the road. I tried to move it and the driveshaft spins but the wheels don't turn. :cry:

That sounds like something I've only ever done in a forward gear. And I refer to it as a brakestand. Seems kind of brutal for a big truck?

I've never heard of doing the stall test on a big truck; I'd be seriously inclined to make him pay for it. Doing it in reverse puts the pressure on the back side of the canted hypoid teeth; bad idea. :what:

I know you've been stuck a couple times, but your truck doesn't shift from forward to reverse fast enough for that to have weakened anything- and I saw first-hand how careful you are. Spinning in soft sand isn't that traumatic. JMHO.

That sucks. :(

Big Mac in the superpit mine West Aus

Attachments

• 188784_1815706586728_1061976391_2147803_3809080_n.jpg
    188784_1815706586728_1061976391_2147803_3809080_n.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 71
Really SUX Brian.... I would be pissed.:X

I hope you can get it fixed toot sweet and get back to it. Guy that broke it should at least help with the fix. The test sounds goofy though as previously mentioned.

Better a shaft then the differential. Any big truck junk yards nearby?

I did that on a friends truck I borrowed, only it sheared the cap off clean. Broke it at 5 pm, called a friend with a parked IH bus, new axle in hand by 8:30. Only weird part was having something growling at me in the dark as I pulled the axle out of the bus.

Back