The Truck Thread

I don't mind it coming on when the door opens, but I don't know why it comes on when you shut the truck off. According to the manual it's not supposed to do that. At least it doesn't have auto headlights.

I think this is going to be a good truck. It was very well maintained. I just hate anything automatic on a vehicle. I'm driving a GM product right now that has so many automatic things on it, it's a wonder I'm even required to be conscious to drive it.:X Try jump starting something with a weak battery when you can't shut the headlights off, in the middle of the day.

I was able to bypass the daytime running light switch on my bucket truck. It was air pressure activated when the parking brake was released, and the switch was leaking. So I removed the switch and capped the line. Twisted the wires together with a wire nut and no more daytime running lights. :/:

my 2000 impala had auto headlights, wasnt ever a problem. My '04 GMC pickup has the same system with the light sensor at the dash, the interior lights come on when I shut the truck off and pull the keys out of the ignition, although I have the switch at the dash set to stop this helpful function ;)

I've never really noticed, or heard of the dome light coming on after turning off the ignition. Typically these have a problem with switches in the door latches, and the light staying on when you close/open the door. That's an easy fix of just spraying lube into the door latch mechanism.

mine comes on when I pull the key out of the ignition, light stays on for a couple minutes, radio stays on for up to 20 minutes, unless you open a door.

My '03 f350 with a 5.4 has the domelight automatically come on as soon as the ignition is turned off, then it goes off when you open a door. The radio works the same way, and there's some kind of a time limit so it doesn't just stay on forever if say you crawled out the window or something. I enjoy the feature but I think there's a button by the light switch that's a dome override or something. I'll have a looksee tomorrow.

I noticed diesel dripping on a customer's driveway, so I got to looking for the leak without much luck. I decided to drain the water seperator on the truck which meant parking it on a berm to get the drive shaft out of the way. Anywho, while parked on this berm I noticed their was two distinct fluids in the degas bottle (pressurized catch tank), the bottom layer was green. Turns out I have diesel in the cooling system which most likely translates into a cracked head or two. Taking it to the dealer Friday morning to get it figured out.

Could be a cracked cup which I think is part of the head.

Yep, Brian, 3500 miles of warranty left! If they replace both heads, I figure it'll be near $4k.

Cups are replaceable on my engine fwiw.

Shit, warranties sound cool, never had one of those. Bring that bitch in, and call me when it's done!

Scratch that $4k, MSRP on a head is $1516.60. If they have to replace both heads (if they can't find the source of the leak, from what I've read, this is what they do) I figure it'll be much closer to $5k.

We had a cracked head on our Cat 3116..... $9k to get that fixed. That was a year and a half ago. I just picked up that same truck yesterday with a new rebuilt engine.... $18k for that. F'in trucks

Why would you when its under warrenty?

If its under warranty then no. If its not then possibly,I've found quite a few good heads for vehicles before at junkyards for like 50-60 bucks before.The worst one had to be ground flat,but that was only one.

If its under warranty then no. If its not then possibly,I've found quite a few good heads for vehicles before at junkyards for like 50-60 bucks before.The worst one had to be ground flat,but that was only one.
They are changing the motors so frequently to update to more stringent emissions standards that there is often not too many junked rigs available.

Back