The question a dilettante ...

I rather like buckets. I keep my 300' line in a 3G(or whatever size it is) bucket. Cheap, durable, and smooth deployment. Doesn't fold as nice as a cube though.

That's my long shot line. I figure 120' is about the maximum I'll run into around here. That'll get me up and back down with a little to spare for getting spread in the canopy. It's also half of a 600' spool I bought. The other half is in a cube I keep for backup purposes if I manage to get a bunch of lines stuck. My regular line is about 150'(currently a spool of Zing-It, whatever length that is).

That's a lot of rope to deal with.

Connecting 2 ropes can be a good option, for certain situations. A 3:1 with a pulley works a treat for SRS if you want MA involved.
I think I use Petzl biner with much bigger built- in sheave than a DMM Revolver.

Ymmv

I had a 400 1/2 line in a tub. Wont fit in a bucket.
When I need 400'. I need one with no fuggen knots in it.
I remember a certain tree that 300 feet was too short to use it as a gin pole. And if you wanted to walk the piece out, you could have easily used another 50 feet.

When you need a really long rope, you really need it :).

200 feet plus was not an uncommon tree height for me to deal with working for the Forest Service. Sometimes, not often but enough to make you appreciate it, 400 feet of climb line was too short. I kept one 600 foot 10mm Sterling HTP for those.

For a throw line (BigShot launch), for sure you needed at least 300 feet. That much throwline is a bit of a bother to deal with :).

I keep one long throw line in it's own cube. When you need to isolate a really high tie in or shoot it out across a gulley or over woods for a long pull or trolley set up, its invaluable. All the rest are 200. 4 (usually) total.
I also keep a couple old spares handy to leave a pull line in a tree or through rigging overnight as needed.

Some of my rec-climbs I'd preset a throw-line in the tree and then come back later (a week sometimes) and then pull a climb-line through and do the climb.

Some of the first pitches were 175 to 200 feet. Properly managing those long lines is not a skill for the amateur.

A couple of times hikers spotted my throw-lines and pulled them out of the trees. Bummer.

Setting a line and isolating a good limb can take hours, half a day sometimes. That's why I chose to split the two procedures.

Can you do much to get a line snugged into a crotch at those heights? Seems like it would be too far to influence the line, getting it to "walk" down a branch.

You can only do so much from the ground. Shoot for the best limb you can and cross you fingers you get it.

When setting lines at those heights binoculars are a wise thing to have in your kit, because the way it appears from the ground, by eye alone, is not always the way it is once you get up there and look at it.

Back