The Official Portable Winch thread

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
The rope walker thread seems to be working out (I know I still haven't put up pics/ video. lame), so, why not?

I know Reg has experience with the portable Honda capstan, IIRC. Roger has modded (and is going to get some pics some time) the chainsaw powerhead capstan. I have this same one, but haven't gotten much use out of it, yet. Hopefully, more use as a result of this.

All the loggers that did high lead type stuff, and not high lead, will have tips and tricks. I believe it was Jerry who had a video or pictures or verbal on some system that had two rigging systems that (very craftily) acted like a drift line somehow. I believe it was where the load was pulled uphill and to a high rigging point, where it was held, and another line through a high block on a tree off to the side laterally was taken up tight, then the winch line slacked (drift line style). This allowed the load to be brought up the hill, and across on to the flat.

I intend to use mine more to replace groundman power in inaccessible places to machines. I don't know what the LA area is like, but I know Nick has talked about humping loads up stairs. I think if the trees allowed, a powered, uphill speedline could work like a micro high-lead system.

Discuss.

I use the same one shown in this Reg vid
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XJ5741tCWZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a perfect world it would be on every tree truck.

I could have a field day with this winch, great tool…

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MyM693KJVaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've used the same winch with the same good results. Ordered one from the states for a friend for his work pulling beetle infested logs up steep terrain. Sometimes you can get to thinking that it is a bit slow, but compared to doing it without a winch, no contest.

True Jay. I'd like to try one of those two stroke chainsaw winches, Rog B raved about it. Tricky thing about the 4 stroke is keeping it level.

My old Lewis winch is very basic, but made a whole lot possible.
Even pulled the bald-tired, grapple truck up a snowy lane so they could pick up my logs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How much power do those Lewis winches have when only having a few revolutions on the drum? What about with a full spool? I get the impression that they are strong, on a big saw.

Bix, thanks for putting those vids up some good ideas in them.

Sean, is it possible the two line system you were thinking of was put up by Tom H. ? (Pulling some debris up off a lakeside or some such.)

When I had newly joined TTH I saw Jack’s ‘slowline’ system video which had not ever occured to me before. A couple of weeks later I looked at a job where that was the most efficient way of clearing ignorantly fallen smaller trees out of a deep creek and saving the home owners the chance of a $25,000 dollar fine. It was about $8,000 worth of work and they said to go ahead. Unfortunately between them making two or three significant changes in working arrangements in the first hour and a half there, and the fact that they had covered a small stump pile all around with fresh brush and had me bid it to chip, I decided to cut my losses and fired them on the spot.

All that to say “Thanks Jack” I know I will make money with the slowline system some day. That coupled with a portable winch to make for efficient take up of slack would be awesome.

I have the honda 4 stroke engine. As Brian said you have to keep it level or it'll cut out.

First few attempts were almost the last....probably we expected too much and neither factored in how much friction is caused by dragging stuff along the ground with the winch or re-direct set at the same level. Seemed pretty useless actually, and way too slow. However, elevating the rigging/pulling point through re-directs really changes everything....then it becomes a really good tool with lots of time and labor saving applications.

You do have to be very mindful of the wraps on the spool, which is constantly turning. Its all to easy for the spool to grab an extra wrap when you take your eye off it, and in the next second it has 2 overlapping wraps on top and before you can hit the stop button the whole things has bound up and stalled. At which point you may even have to cut through your line to get it off. It all happens very fast. It does also scorch your line pretty good, so having a sole-purpose winch line is probably the best. Half inch is good, more wraps on the spool. Great Motor otherwise, we've abused the hell out of it. And then other times it will sit redundant for months, and yet never fails to start right away.

The best job we ever did with the winch starts at about 8:20 in the video below. Saved an awful lot of up hill dragging and messing around up steps etc. A little time to set up but after 3,4 big limbs we were already ahead of the game. Watch in HD

Edit: The winch is at the far end set at the spar tree....in case its not clear. You might need to use the bigger screen to see it actually. Thank

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FZZB_FTDnwg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lovely drift lining mate!

Supoib even!

Love the steel cable with the bell choker too!

Time is money.

Good stuff Reg.

Jomo

Here's a video showing Honda's Portable Winch. 2000lbs of pull, 4 stroke :rockon:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gMV_HjpPR9U?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I bought the Honda Portable Winch from WestCoast Winch. I LOVE this thing guys. I bought the PCW5000 model a year ago and haven't looked back. Use it to move logs on the job, firewood at home, and I have let my buddy borrow it to take it hunting as well. I'm glad there is a thread here dedicated to this!

Here is a YouTube channel from the manufacturers showing a bunch of how-to's and such for the Portable Winch: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi661RmO7E9jKfcJ2v0S43A

True Jay. I'd like to try one of those two stroke chainsaw winches, Rog B raved about it. Tricky thing about the 4 stroke is keeping it level.

I have the honda 4 stroke engine. As Brian said you have to keep it level or it'll cut out.

Actually, with the Honda PCW3000 Winch you don't need to keep it level. Honda used a 360 degree, all-position engine so it doesn't happen. Their is no oil pan and the engine doesn't flood. I personally got the PCW5000 model because I needed the extra pulling capacity, but the PCW3000 is great if you need the mobility.

Make yourself at home, Derek! And don't be shy about filling out your profile so we can get to know you better. We're kinda like family here.

Back