Teufelberger knockoffs in the US

emr

Cheesehead Treehouser
http://www.teufelberger.com/en/products/treecare/tools.html

I have been checking out their tools this morning and it got me wondering why nobody in the US is making copies of these. Most of them are nothing more than combining rope and rings that we already use here. After watching Taylors vids about the Multisling, I am going to make my own out of Tenex and a ring.

These products seem well thought out and they seem to be pretty popular in Europe, so why has no one started making them here? Would any of you buy any of these products?

But they are being knocked off! 

The day his vid went up I got 2 orders for those multislings (the one where its a piece of rope with a ring at the end). I don't get the draw to those things, but have the rope/rings (dmm, not kong) needed, so happily needed.

Just yesterday I got a pm from a member here that wants one. So yeah- people are making and buying the "knock offs."

love
nick

ps- isn't a knockoff usually a chinsy version of the real deal? I'd say mine are better!

Your work is far from chinsy Nick.. It is top notch.

Funny how I will never question climbing on one of your splices and yet am hesitant to order a spliced unit from a larger dealer/mfg :/:

Your work is far from chinsy Nick.. It is top notch.

Funny how I will never question climbing on one of your splices and yet am hesitant to order a spliced unit from a larger dealer/mfg :/:

I agree 100%. Not to mention i don't like grizzly splices I know they are strong i just don't like them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What kind of rope are you going to make it out of Nick?

I dont mean anything by the knockoff comment.... more just the copy cat thing.

I wonder what is up with all of the stitched eyes over there. Why are they staying away from splices so much? Maybe its easier to regulate for their CE stuff?

It would be hard to call slings with rings knock-offs. I made a sling with a ring and eye a couple of years ago, it was one of the first things I ever spliced. I just never used it much and cut the ring off because I needed it for something else... I love how strong and cheap Tenex is.

I don't like grizzly splices at all, mainly because the rope isn't massaged and balanced, they just cut it and stitch it. I won a grizzly spliced Ocean eye/eye prusik once and the cover got loose and bunched up, it sucked with a VT/XT, didn't grab without being set by hand every time. Splicing is still in the realm of art and craft, probably always will be.

I dont see why they need to be bought. They are slings and rings. who doesn't carry those around already?

Kevin- I agree with you on this. These aren't revolutionary devices or concepts being presented. But in the selling of custom splices, I continually work with guys around the world that looking to refine an aspect of their climbing setup or technique. In that, I often see guys that seem to be making things more complicated than need be. When I try to reel them back in, sometimes I find out that what seems goofy to me is a major epiphany for other climbers. It's not because they are goofy- it's 'cause we all climb differently.

So- that said, Eric- to answer your question i see XTC, Ocean Polyester, and Beeline as good ropes for this. Also, All Gear makes an 11mm 16 strand rope that I think fits the bill here.

Blinky- Biases aside, I agree with you. Sewn eye terminals are ugly and clunky. But I know exactly why they are preferred. You know as well as anyone that splicing is a special skill that not everyone can do. Not only that, even when it is done right, it's hard for the average Joe Climber to understand and inspect. The sewn eyes are easy to make. A machine does it. How hard is that? Soon they will be giving them away just to sell the rope. It's external, so anyone can inspect it. That's why I think CE likes them.

Ugly, but strong and easy to make and inspect.

I'll take a mediocre splice over perfect stitched eye any day.

The tapered stitched eye is a step in the right direction.

love
nick

Nothing compares to a nice splice. And I don't splice, but I've seen/got some of Nick's fine work. It's truly a art.

I climbed all day in the rain yesterday and by the end of the day I was pretty sick and tired of my hands slipping on my 1/2" lanyard. I just couldn't get a grip on that small diameter very well. I can't even imagine using a 10 mm lanyard, let alone an 8 mm or a 6 mm. I'm sure it's strong enough and probably nice and light, but dang that would be hard to use. Maybe it's different if you don't have to climb in the rain though.

I guess it depends on how you use it, my 8mm kevlar was the best pruning lanyard I've ever used. It wasn't any good for spiking though, I use one made from old fuzzy PI for takedowns.

Total derail, but I'm cool climbing in the rain. Granted, I live in SoCal so it is a rare occasion and downright fun for me, and I'm typically "just" hauling a handsaw besides. So it's different for me, I understand- but even when I was working daily production, I loved climbing in the rain.

I look at it this way. Let's say you could normally do 3 trees in a normal day. On a rainy day you can only do 1. Getting paid for 1 is more than getting paid for zero!

To each is own. In the mean time, it'll be 70 and sunny tomorrow :)

love
nick

Getting paid for 1 is more than getting paid for zero!

Then think of it in terms of production. A crew of climbers working at 1/3 the pace will substaintially affect payroll costs unless they're getting 1/3 pay, which I don't see happening. And then there's always the safety factor. But I hear ya on the side job solitary climb/whatnot. ;@)

If PNW's didn't climb in the rain, they'd starve. Where I'm at it's a bit drier, but I did my coastal time and in the winter months you can get rain for weeks with little or no break. I worked a number of 15 day shifts on Vancouver Island where it poured everyday.

Our trees are wet from late October into June. It's either climb in the rain or find another job. However, it's just as safe as climbing in a dry tree. I rely on my lines to access and maintain working position, not my hands & feet. Ropes hold a load when they're wet just as well as when they're dry.

not my hands & feet.

The dickins you say. I mean, I hear you on the rope thing, but I still rely on my hands and feet (and other bodyparts) when climbing. I need friction a lot of the time.

Sure you do, but it's not what keeps you from falling out of the tree. If your hands or feet slip, you have a rope holding you right? All I do is plan on my hands and feet slipping and rely on my rope more.

Back