Swap for electric brake axle, install controller

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I want to swap my 5 lug axle on my 4500 pound chipper to an electric braking axle.

Ideas on a good source?

It seem like the swap is straight forward, and the brake controller install might be the harder part (probably simple-ish for someone experienced).

My mechanic is very honest, so I don't worry about him jacking up the price unnecessarily.

I would swap to a 6 lug, 5klb axle. As far as a source, google/ebay trailer axle and you'll find endless options. Heck, TSC even stocks axles locally.

Anything to make it safer is a good thing. Be careful not to spec an axle that is too big, as handling may be compromised. More of a bounce thing. Brake controllers are not too difficult to install, just make sure not to cut any corners. Best practice is a non insulated butt connector crimped then soldered, covered with heat shrink tubing. NEVER scotch locks. Use loom and black tape to secure the wires along with zip ties. A lot of shops will use scotch locks or just twist and tape, that is how they keep labor costs down, allowing them to install one in less than an hour. Better to specify the proper way and pay more or do it yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More expensive than I thought.

Buying a six lug would then mean buying wheels and tires. I've gone this far without. I don't want to put $1000 into an old chipper. It would be better put toward a bigger truck or newer chipper.

I was thinking of a used braking axle off of CL that is functional.

Good idea. If you could get your mechanic to look over the axle before you buy I am sure you wont get burned. It is hard to inspect an axle through pictures. A slight bend will be hugely detrimental to tracking and tire wear.

A slight bend will be hugely detrimental to tracking and tire wear.

Depends on what kinda bend you are talking about. Dexter axle has an interesting FAQ section on their website:
AXLES - Why are some axles bent in the middle?
The upward bend in the axle is called "camber". Camber is the angular relationship of the wheel to the road surface in the vertical plane. Axles are typically built with a pre-determined bend in the tube that compensates for the expected deflection under load.

Anything to make it safer is a good thing. Be careful not to spec an axle that is too big, as handling may be compromised. More of a bounce thing. Brake controllers are not too difficult to install, just make sure not to cut any corners. Best practice is a non insulated butt connector crimped then soldered, covered with heat shrink tubing. NEVER scotch locks. Use loom and black tape to secure the wires along with zip ties. A lot of shops will use scotch locks or just twist and tape, that is how they keep labor costs down, allowing them to install one in less than an hour. Better to specify the proper way and pay more or do it yourself.

Thanks for the information Jim. This came at a handy time, as I just picked up two new Dexter axles today for our trailer and plan on installing them on Friday. The trailer had hydraulic inertia brakes, and the news ones are electric. When you say loom and black tape, what is loom?

It's called "wire loom" about all auto parts stores have it and it's really pretty cheap. Even for a tight ass like me.

Back