Stump removal tools-- besides the grinder

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
What tricks do you have in your arsenal for if you need to remove small stumps.

I haven't bothered fixing my old grinder in a long time, as I hate grinding. I think about it time to time, but small stumps won't make me any money, and three guys in town have big grinders, so I have referred out my last big maple stump (4'x 7' at the soil, on a huge mound).

I have a small alder growing against a sidewalk, so a grinder wouldn't do it all, anyway, and its small, so to get the job, we'll dig it.

My normal arsenal includes mattocks, shovels, rock bar, sawsall, an old hand saw for some roots (its surprising in a garden bed that you can cut right through the intact soil to get through smaller roots), Korean hand hoe (give by a customer. very useful, http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Digger-Sho...id=1396019169&sr=8-1&keywords=korean+hand+hoe), cable come-along, rakes, garbage cans and tarps (keeps the lawn clean and easy to roll over and move the soil back into the hole without having to shovel it all). Most of this is on the truck anyway (not the sawsall or cable comealong).

RopeArmor/ Thomas has an interesting video of blocking next to the tree base to create a fulcrum to lever the tree over. It was a good sized trees and a spectra-type rope on a spar.

I have the self propelled grinders (50 and 85hp), a grinder attachment for the excavator/mini skids/etc (I'll post more on this soon!), and a 6 ton mini excavator.

We have pulled whole trees (3' dbh) over by setting a chain in the tree and snatching it down with the track loader. I have a little video of it, I'll edit it together at some point and put it up.

I saw a vid, maybe Thimas, of a Jack hammer to cut the roots while tensioning the stump over a fulcrum. Worked slick if you have a compressor.

Another way:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/thOlOksb_tQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good pry bar should be on the list....
21Ca3Q6bxNL._SY355_.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, I have a rock bar. no bending that thing.

That chipping/ sharpened end is useful on your tool in the pic.

I have three... One like that there, one for fence posts with the tamper and another with more a pry hook and point.
That sharpened end means business on that one. Amazing what you can move with a proper pry bar.
"Give me a lever and fulcrum", and all that.

Also have heavy wall pipe about 12' long that slips over the pry bar.
you can just twist out shrubs and small trees with a sling girthed hitched to the tree and then twisted around
the pipe.
The chainsaw digger works well in combo with backpack blower
My very favorite and must have for any stump is the Pulaski axe

Back