Stripped Oiler Gear - Cause?

The flat spot acts as a rotating valve to close/open the intake and outpout holes of the pump's cylinder. Somewhere on the small shaft a ramp/came makes the shaft moves axially while it's rotating. The both combined give the pumping motion. No check valve, very simple system.
It looks like the ramp on your pump is molded on the plastic gear: the rounded groove on the left of the flutes. In the Stihl's, the end of the shaft is machined. It isn't much of a slope, but with the huge number of rotations, it gives a substantial amount of oil.

I didn't run mine dry, and it's just a little abs plastic worm screw. I've since started cutting the canola with acetone and that seems to be the ticket here. I also keep everything in an unheated garage, so it's basically asking it to gel.
That sounds as a bad idea to me. I would not do that.

I also store saws in unheated area. If I were to cut in -10c it works fine, -20c (I don't cut but customers do) need a bit glycol in it, about 10%.
That is what works down to -30c. Lower temp then that they should sit by fire and drink coffee and pet a cat, not run a saw.

Wonder why your canola would turn to gel?
Our rapeseed oil we buy in store here don't.
Could there be differences? Ours is raw, pasteurized rapeseed oil. No additives to speak of.
What I buy is an clear rapeseed oil. Less clear=Less heated= less good.

Veggie/Bio oils from oil companies do, but that is another soup all together, actually not as vegetable or biological as they claim when you compare/look closer.

Last edited:
The pour point of canola is -9c, which means when a container of it is tipped that's the point where it doesn't even move anymore. I'm not for sure that's what caused it to strip the thread, it's just plastic after all. I didn't notice the temps when it broke, but it does hit -40 here on occasion, and knowing me i wouldn't even look before going out to work on stuff.This was is where i got the idea from, and it works pretty good to thin it slightly from what I've seen. Kevin is in Detroit, which gets even colder than where I'm at.

i cut it with a bit of acetone to get it to flow.

Being old school ,for one I don't use salad oil for bar lube oil .Mine comes out of the ground from an oil well .As far as gear drive pumps the most best design I've seen is on a Partner P-100 .It's all internal within the crankcase .No dirt and crud gets into to it . The worst I've seen was on a Craftsman/Poulan .Plastic gears anchored to the engine base which will loosten the mounting bolts over time which will strip the gears .

Back