Staying Tied In

No_Bivy

Treehouser
Interesting job on this one.....In the past two weeks, there have been several times where I have chosen to stay on the crane while under load. This White OAk fell over, lodged against a Poplar and landed on some phone transmission lines. We set up the 4 part block on a 50 ton crane. I tied in to the boom while the crane held the tree. I climbed out and cut limbs from lines. 21k lift.

Wild pictures John!! When'd you do that? Seems like your jobs have been getting crazier and crazier... good job from the looks of it though. I imagine the tension in that tree was complicated to say the least.

Were you working with both crane balls on that one, or were you just tied into the smaller?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
held the load......bombed the rest. I took the Poplar in one piece since in was cracked at the base from the White Oak falling on to it. It weighed in at 3900. Picked a couple other small uprooted trees off the line...........then I hit the EASY button.:D

The last few...and the vid of the Poplar lift.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgYkyH-NiCs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgYkyH-NiCs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Wild pictures John!! When'd you do that? Seems like your jobs have been getting crazier and crazier... good job from the looks of it though. I imagine the tension in that tree was complicated to say the least.

Were you working with both crane balls on that one, or were you just tied into the smaller?

Today...in between white outs...8)

Does your TIP move around a bit as you unload weight?

I tied into where the jib would attach, ...so no,....the load was lifted by the block, I moved very little. I did not "ride" the load. I am wondering how others stay tied into a crane under load.............

single line first to bomb limbs around the Poplar, then switched to 4 part for the heavy lift of trunk...

ahh yes grasshopper...................:drink:

anyone else ever ride the crane under load........

Am I the only one trying to figure out why a crane was brought in? Looks like everything on the poplar could have bombed out. As for the oak, you are not going to hurt a phone line that big, those things are strong. I probably would have tied it down good and cut everything hanging over the line, then started back towards the base under cutting everything.

Not knocking how you did it, wish we had one to use! I just don't understand the logic in these crane jobs sometimes.

Crane logic: Large machine that does a lot of work.
Safer... easier... faster... etc.

Great job No Bivy!

nah....crane is much safer and easier. AND they were paying, so why not. I ain't workin' for a line clearance company......It's ME and MY ass on the sharp end. A bucket could not have reached that chaos. :D

besides, once you see the value of a crane on situations like this,...you will never go back. No One gets hurt, Nothing gets broken....my mantra

What the Z says:

“The arborist shall be detached from the crane any time it is under load tension. EXCEPTION: The person specifically responsible for the work shall only allow the arborist to remain attached to the crane while it is under load when it is determined that all reasonably possible alternative methods are inaccessible and attachment to the subject tree would create a greater safety risk due to its hazardous condition. Possible alternative methods include, but are not limited to:

securing to the tree and detaching from the crane before it comes under load;
use of a second crane;
use of an aerial lift device;
use of an adjacent tree."

Back