Spiderjack Cam/Clutch question

flashover604

TreeHouser
Hi all.

I ran across a used SpiderJack 2.1 Dyneema for sale the other day. I'd been wanting to try one out so I picked it up. I followed some advice I saw and put some loctite on the screw that holds the red alloy Dyneema holder in place, but other than that everything looks to be fine. My question is about the aluminum cam/clutch. I can see a little wear at the top and bottom leading edges where the rope rubs. It's not eaten away, just shiny for 1/16"-1/8" at each end. I set it up on an exposed beam in the house and it seems to grip Imori pretty quickly. The only time it creeps is if I don't sit down hard enough after ascending. It'll creep down an inch before completely stopping again. My question is, is there a way to tell when the cam needs replaced? I climb for fun, so it's not going to be used everyday all day. I also thought I read somewhere about different shaped cams for different amounts of grip. Anyone have any info on that as well?

Thanks in advance!

Zach

You will know when the cam needs replacing, as the rope will start to creep through the device.

Remember that dirty & gritty ropes will hasten the wear on the cam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went ahead and sent some money towards treestuff. I should have the new cam in hand tonight. Man they ship fast... Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!

I took the Spiderjack apart completely and cleaned it with some dish soap and hot water then put the new cam in and loctited the screws. It definitely bites better now. I had a little trouble getting it to grab until I started leaning back a little more after each pull. It's definately fast! I can see you could really get moving if something pulled the handle and it got held open!

The rear brake ( operated by the thumb) can be adjusted to suit your style also. I like it really close so it requires a light touch

I saw that when I was cleaning and reassembling it. I'll definitely play with that this weekend. It's a pretty slick little piece of gear. How does the wood block wear the rope? I'd imagine that the smooth wood and smooth aluminum should be pretty easy on it, but I'm not sure.

Back