Speed line slings question

combrig

TreeHouser
Recently, I've been thinking of making whole new Speed Line Kit. I am really tired of improvising every time when it gets to Speed Line. But I have a few questions about the equipment needed and I will appreciate if you share your experience with this.

First - the length of the loops. I've decided to use 3 loops of 24 inches, 4 - 36 inches, 4 - 48 inches and 2 loops of 60 inches. I've never even thought of checking what is the length of the loops I use, so here I've just copied from WesSpur Speed Line Kit.
Do you have any other suggestions for loop length? Or maybe I have to exclude some of the sizes stated above?

Second - about the carabiners. I'm going to use oval shape, but the shape is the only thing, that I am certain about. I'm still wavering if the gate has to be with screw lock and what material should I choose.
The screw-lock carabiner can be used without screwing the sleeve every time, and it can be used for other applications if needed. If I choose non-locking oval carabiner, the only way to use it for other applications is opposite placement for 2 carabiners, and I don't really want to do that. I just don't like using climbing techniques. But it concerns me if the hatch of the screw sleeve can contact and damage the speed line rope somehow...
About the material - I am concerned, that the steel will move really faster than the alluminium and that it can be a problem. But the Alu crabs will wear faster... The weight of the steel ones can be a problem for some, but I think, that it's not a big deal... After all I don't have to carry the slings with me all the time. The ground will take care of sending them to me when they're needed...
I've decided to check my local equipment supplier, and it turned out, that the oval, screw-sleeve carabiner - Kong Oval Steel Classic (picture) is the cheapest option there is. The alu ones, even without screw sleeve, are 30% more expensive.

I will appreciate any other advice about the speed line equipment and speed lining at all! :O:thumbup:

Welcome back.

Sounds good. I like having both lockers for the occasional critical piece, or if something is not rigged quite clean, but mostly use non-locking without concern.

Speedlining with a good system is a huge labor saver. You will want to use the RegC's (recoates on youtube) Simple three to one technique, or a simple mechanical advantage system.

A low stretch rope is good. mostly anything that is not three-strand or true-blue would work okay. I speedline on 3 strand sometimes, its stretchy and slow with all the bumps. Its on hand from natural crotch rigging. I use it because its cheap and durable. You can get a fancy UHMWPE rope, or the like, but don't need it in the least, to get started.

Don't worry about wear. You will save so much on labor that you won't care.

Long slings are handy but 60 is way too long, in my opinion. If I really need the length, I"ll combine two. Mostly that 60" will be too long. I use some sewn, and some Beer Knot-tied 1" tubular. I also use some cheap rope for not critical situations (be aware of burning these, more than the rest). I will sometimes have 20+ slings for conifers. Saves tons or rigging time and dragging time. 24-36" do it for me. Long slings are nice if you are reaching to something out of line with the speedline, and don't want slack to develop into the sytem when the piece is cut.

I think that there might be a speedline thread somewhere, if not, we should compile tips and tricks in one.

Three of these on my saddle is part of my minimalist approach to keeping it simple, safe and effective, whether speedlining or just butt hitching to vertical hang, then cutting free to drop, and daisy looping the loops back into a nice compact package. Great for redirects too.

The important thing IMO is the biners being steel lockers and clearly rated, as well as the nylon loops of whatever length.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 32
Back