Someone Might Care... Who Knows?

What Magnus was saying was all cutters on a loop of chain don't have to be sharpened to the same size.

If only several cutters get rocked out badly you don't need to sharpen all the cutters down to the same size as the damaged ones are after sharpening.
And yes Magnus's cutters are all sharpened to the angles as the box specifies. ...only the length of the cutters top plates don't all have to be equal.
As said earlier in this thread I rarely apply the angles on the boxes set by mfg.
Length of a cutter or angle on it is not very important until it can cut.

Lets say you have 20 cutters on a chain. You hit a nail and one tooth is hurt worse than the others.
If you grind and want all cutters uniformed you set the grinder after this damaged tooth. If needed you run chain two or three times in grinder. Then you check your riders and if needed adjust them.
If you file you file each tooth as much as needed to get it sharp. If it is sharp it can cut. Rider is set for this tooth or left high and this tooth tag along until next filing of riders on the other cutters.

I tried to explain earlier how to learn and see how this works and the way's you can see it practically.
There is a lot to learn and test...

What Magnus was saying was all cutters on a loop of chain don't have to be sharpened to the same size.

If only several cutters get rocked out badly you don't need to sharpen all the cutters down to the same size as the damaged ones are after sharpening.
And yes Magnus's cutters are all sharpened to the angles as the box specifies. ...only the length of the cutters top plates don't all have to be equal.

Of course. I've never cared that all cutters be equal size. As long as the depth gauges are down the same distance, I could never see tooth length being overly critical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This stuff about the "burr," is really helpful for me. I always get about a million little micro-slices on my left thumb, because after I file a chisel, I wipe the top of it off with my thumb in order to see if I have a really clean chrome edge or not. When round filing, I tend to cut the top plate a hair too thin, and so wind up with that infuriating little chrome "wire edge" on there. My usual remedy for this is to pull up, thereby positioning the file farther up out of the gullet.

This stuff about the "burr," is really helpful for me. I always get about a million little micro-slices on my left thumb, because after I file a chisel, I wipe the top of it off with my thumb in order to see if I have a really clean chrome edge or not. When round filing, I tend to cut the top plate a hair too thin, and so wind up with that infuriating little chrome "wire edge" on there. My usual remedy for this is to pull up, thereby positioning the file farther up out of the gullet.
If you get it sharp your thumb will not be in the way for long if you do that...
I don't get burr filing vertical as file is in correct position and I have it cutting instead of grinding.
I think you don't need to pull up or change position of file in any way (unless you are too low). I think it is vibration that cause your file not to cut the burr.

What do you mean the file is cutting vs grinding?

I try my best to explain.. I could do it a tiny bit better in Swedish..
File is a cutting tool like a knife or planer. If this is not cutting correctly it turns in to a grinder or sandpaper form of use.

If you think of it in other materials as wood it is perhaps easier to understand.

That makes sense. I'm going to have to try your vertical method next time I round file. Of course, everything takes practice. I just can't bring myself, (right now) to round file, because I've had such a good run (straight cutting) with my triangle.

That makes sense M, but you said, I think, that filing in one direction is cutting and in the opposite direction is grinding?

Lots of confusion in this thread from everybody trying to understand each other.
Maybe it's time some of us post some home made videos at the work bench of how it's done.:D

My grinder has reversible directions and I try to grind away from the corner, but that means the sparks directly fly at me on the one side or towards a place that I don't want them to go. Sparks in a wood shop. :\: Does it matter about grinding toward the corner or not, if trying not to burn?

Lots of confusion in this thread from everybody trying to understand each other.
Maybe it's time some of us post some home made videos at the work bench of how it's done.:D

I was just thinking about trying to post my simplified square filing method. Do you know how to post vid. Willard?

That makes sense M, but you said, I think, that filing in one direction is cutting and in the opposite direction is grinding?

If you have a file that cut on forward motion you lift it on return. Dragging them backwards does no good what so ever, least of all to file.

My grinder has reversible directions and I try to grind away from the corner, but that means the sparks directly fly at me on the one side or towards a place that I don't want them to go. Sparks in a wood shop. :\: Does it matter about grinding toward the corner or not, if trying not to burn?
Yes and no.
If you are content and super happy with a edge that has burr best is to grind from corner in so you get burr under tooth. IMO better is to do it right and not get the burr.

Posting pic's and video is never wrong. If you are to learn something you still need to know what your looking at and what you should be looking for.

I tried this at other forums. One forum I post on my own language and it is just as confusing.
It is not so much a language issue as it is a general communication glitch. I don't know what to explain better. The questions (about filing) asked I try to reply, if there is no questions then all is good right?

I was just thinking about trying to post my simplified square filing method. Do you know how to post vid. Willard?

What is it you film with? compact camera phone or something better?

When you do it try to not make a 20sek video 20 minutes. Prepare as much as possible, shoot what you like to show and I try avoid casual talk as it makes people go look at something else.

Ahhh... But you're just trying to have me do my best with my given personality deficiencies. However, in this case, you're not going to have to worry Magnus: I know that people will value my casual talk on vid. about as much as they value it on the treehouse. It stands to reason that if there could be one redeeming quality of a saw-chain filing video, it would be brevity.

Sometimes I'm blown away by how even I could ever possibly get excited over the prospect of filing a saw.

If you have a file that cut on forward motion you lift it on return. Dragging them backwards does no good what so ever, least of all to file.

C'mon man, I know that:/:

I try my best to explain.. I could do it a tiny bit better in Swedish..
File is a cutting tool like a knife or planer. If this is not cutting correctly it turns in to a grinder or sandpaper form of use.

If you think of it in other materials as wood it is perhaps easier to understand.

I read it as cutting versus abrading/ abrasion. You can slice a sliver or metal, or scrape at it.

abrasion: The effect of an abrasive: scratches, removal of surface, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrasion
That would be more the affect you get from acids or sand paper other grinding tools that is not cutting.
No, I don't think that is correct.

Slice a sliver sounds more accurate. Cutting tools leave a different surface than a grinding tool.
The surface is what we are after for multiple reasons, not just sharp edge.

It is surface that is important. How you tell if surface is correct is a tad harder to explain but it should be as smooth and even as possible, especially were the edges meet. The smoother and stronger the edge is the better it will be.
Metal color after filing tells a lot. If you look at it in light, the more grey/white it is the more uneven it is. The more shiny, black it is the more even it is.
If you don't have the black reflecting surface when you filed you likely experienced vibrations. File has not done its job right and most times is full of crap or damaged.

Now, now Chris... No horsing around!! We're all business around here! We HAVE TO BE! An improperly filed saw is just too big of a tragedy. We simply don't have any room for humor or derails!

Was Jesus really black?

Back