Silky on sale

I have seen but not used the Samurai saws. I get about a year or so from a Zubat blade. I have a Sugoi and find it klunky, it stays home most days.

im not sure which silky i got, its all black with a straight blade about 13 inches long. i made my self use it all day today doing dead wood and mistletoe. it does cut very aggressivly, i dont really like the angle or the straight blade or the way it sticks in the scabbard requiring 2 hands to get out. it was definatly a better experience than last time though.

hmm, when I used the stock zubat scabbard I used my thumb and one hand (same hand) to release it, now I have a weaver leather scabbard and no issues.

I kinda like the red-dot pressure-point scabbard thingym'bob...Climbing down just to retrieve my handsaw is a time & energy burner.
To each their own.

I've tried the Samuria brand, who I think makes the Kanzawa. I thought they were a close 2nd to Silky, but not quite as good.

Actually, you got it backwards. Kanzawa makes the Samurai. When blades are brand new, the Silky cuts a little faster. I actually did a head to head test cutting up to 2 inch hardwood. The Silky will cut through it about 10% faster [10% less strokes] when both are new on 2 inch wood. On 1 inch dia. wood there is no difference in the number of strokes. Testing them with the blades about a month old, the Kanzawa and Silky are about the same. After 1 month, the Kanzawa is faster. 4 months, the Silky is shot, the Kanzawa is still going strong. I use my handsaw a lot when trimming. On many trees [pruning jobs] my handsaw does 90% of the work. I'll take a picture of the Kanzawa blade I use. It is quite different from the Silky blade.

I'll take a picture of the Kanzawa blade I use. It is quite different from the Silky blade.
I'll be curious to see that, Wes. Silky has a tri-angle tooth that my saw sharpening guy won't touch.
Good post. The Zubat cuts amazingly fast when new, but by the end of my season ('bout 5 months) it's a workout. Still a very smooth finish cut, though. Regardless of sharpness.

Here is a picture of the Kanzawa blade that I use. I also like the fact that they use a universal mounting. You can use this blade on a pole saw as well. No need to buy two different types of blades. The model I use is their GCK 330 LH.

Frans,
Zenith Cutter is just selling the Kanzawa. They don't make them. Kanzawa is made in Japan, same as Silky.

Attachments

• IMG_0189.JPG
    IMG_0189.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 65
That's an interesting design. I'd love to spend 20 min. with the designers to hear their line of reasoning ? The hollow pockets must be for emptying sawdust, no ? Pretty innovative.
P.S. I said, "20 minutes..." because of my short attention span & I'm sure they could go on for hours about it ! LOL

The design is very aggressive and when new, you need to put very light pressure or it will bite too much and you won't be able to pull it through the wood. It actually works better after it has had about 20 hours of use and the points got some wear on it.

So the blade for the Kanzawa just pokes into the handle a little bit and you bolt it in? In Silkys ( or at least the Zubat and Gomtaro), the steel runs the whole length of the handle. I think that's called " full tang construction. A very sturdy design, able to hold up to even the most abusive deadwood swatter.
The Kanzawa blade looks like it could fit on a standard polesaw head with little or no modification.
Bailey's sells these now too, BTW.

I have had no problems swatting deadwood with the Kanzawa. I have had teeth broken on the Zubat, but so far none on the Kanzawas. My Zubat just sits at home [for over 18 months], I don't use it anymore. The blade is dull and for what they want for a replacement blade, I bought a Kanzawa saw and 1 replacement blade at the TCI Expo.

Back