Sick tree

• Thread starter xtremetrees
  • Start date
  • Replies 43
  • Views 6K
Wow, is it getting hot in here or is it me... //QUOTE]You lit the stove, dude. The spiking thing was a total derail anyway.

Theresa, you're the top diagnostician on this case. You could tell an internally caused lesion from an externally caused wound. Took me a while to pick up on the difference.:roll:

google sudden oak death phosphite and you will hear all about it. I've used several gallons this winter.

google sudden oak death phosphite and you will hear all about it. I've used several gallons this winter.

I haven't had too much luck with the topically applied phosphite in controlling SOD. The last seminar I attended, lots of other folk were complaining also about it's lack of effectiveness.

Been using a micro-injection product which seems to work fine. Over the past 3 years, I have been treating a Tan Oak which is located within 'ground zero' of a highly infested area, and this one tree is still green and healthy appearing

ArborFoss

I haven't had too much luck with the topically applied phosphite in controlling SOD. The last seminar I attended, lots of other folk were complaining also about it's lack of effectiveness.

Been using a micro-injection product which seems to work fine. Over the past 3 years, I have been treating a Tan Oak which is located within 'ground zero' of a highly infested area, and this one tree is still green and healthy appearing

ArborFoss

Have you used agrifoss or pentrabark with any luck??

jp:D

From the WSDA (Washington State Dept. o' Ag) web site :
Sudden oak death is caused by a pathogen called Phytophthora ramorum. The pathogen is not a fungus or a bacterium, but a member of a unique group of organisms called Oomycetes. Oomycetes share some characteristics of fungi but are biologically different.

This gets interesting-er & interesting-er ! :/:
Oomy-who ???
Got a lotta homework to do !

Phytopthora ramorum actually have little flippers which help them to migrate through water droplets...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all for the post, it is GREATLY appreciated! I found a recent article(dated 1-Mar-08) from where appears to be ground zero of this pathogen in Oregon.
Heres 7 steps one town is taking to stop SOD!

Edit--- I really like step (1)one!

1) An improved early detection system with increased stream baiting – which requires hanging a mesh bag of rhododendron leaves in a stream to help determine the presence of P. ramorum in the water. Aerial surveys will cover larger areas, and ground surveys will be conducted year round.

2) A reliably-funded rapid response system with crews who can be deployed on short notice to infested sites within days of Sudden Oak Death detection

3) An extended treatment area size that includes a 600-foot buffer zone, and continued aggressive eradication attempts with faster response time.

4) A risk modeling project to predict where the disease might spread next, and removal of tanoak on those susceptible landscapes. This may include an incentive program to landowners to remove tanoaks from their property, and an increased market for tanoak

5) New preventive treatments using the fungicide phosphonate to inject or spray on the trunk of infected trees.

6) Continued research on pathogen spread, risk mapping, alternative treatments and genetic resistance of some tanoak species to P. ramorum. Local residents also suggested more in-depth research on the effectiveness of phosphonate

7) An integrated and coordinated approach between experts, researchers, businesses and landowners on how to stop Sudden Oak Death once and for all.

Because Phase II of Sudden Oak Death eradication effort is still being formulated, anyone with comments or other suggestions is encouraged to e-mail Osterbauer at nosterba@oda.state.or.us.

actually thats a state project. they clear cut any host species and pile/burn the slash. the leaves in the creek is interesting. just 2 or 3 leaves in a bag and swap them every 2 weeks. theyve caught several out breaks by back tracking up stream to find the infestations

Robert that is all very cool, but it has nothing to do with your tree.:?

Tree looker said, "Robert that oak is eaten up with phytophthora--tc was right."
Treelooker said, "Robert that is all very cool, but it has nothing to do with your tree."

Are you saying SOD is not phytophthora?
If you are you are right if your not the origins and transmission of pathogens does have alot to do with its treatment. It goes to its treatment I'd say I'd say that bodies of water or streams has alot to do with this tree dying. Besides the stuffs has got flippers like Frans said, you dont use flipper for walking around on the ground now do ya!??
Yes it is cool, who'd thought that rhododendron leaves would be good for anything.

TC3 it is not a fungus but it requires a fungicidal treatment?!

Phytopthera is a genus of plant parasites. P. ramorum is a species of Phytopthera implicated as the pathogen in SOD.

Probably no way to tell whether your tree is infected with P. ramorum or some other species (or something else) without baiting, culturing and lab work.

Phytopthera enters a tree's systems via the roots so if there are active lesions way up in the big laterals, the infection is extensive and the prognosis is probably bad.

Around here we see it a lot in Tuliptrees as well as oaks.

It's not a fungus but a water mold (different evolutionary line). Physically it's like fungi so fungal treatments are appropriate.

Very interesting indeed. That clears up many of my ?'s Blinky. In researching this (SOD) I hacked out some HTML of a california town and accessed thier database of documentaion.
Heres the hack directly into the base. http://vistaverdeca.org/files (the LWTtreatment/spread pdf's)
I found the inital outbreak and the follow up treatment program pdf's. (sorry Frans) A stream and a pond is located nearby which can be the exact cause of the outbreak?
They have done extensive reasearch on this heres a great educational link. Thanks JP for your link to.
http://sod.vistaverdeca.org/

Now, I feel I am at a crossroads for the treatment (if) the bid comes thru. 1.) stick to my original plan and boost the trees health with Cambistat. Changing out the mulch and amending after airspade. Or 2.) Try and use a fungicide on a bactirum. no no not a bateria but a a Oomycetes!

Phosphite is still the treatment of choice. It can be applied on the same tree as cambistat, just not mixed together in the same bottle.

According to research, the growth regulator Paclobutrazol slows fungal activity by inhibiting steroid production. Since steroids are essential constituents of membranes in both fungi and bacteria, application of paclobutrazol may also be bacteriostatic, holding great promise for the treatment of these infections.

I wrote that 4 years ago and no one has disagreed since then.

Hey MB. I was a Lithographer in the Navy and well its a goal I have to print your book in Spanish and English and ship you a case of um within thenext say 10 years. In the meantime the next several months I will be attending GAA training and I'd like to give your book away at the meetings. Is it ok I copy say 20-30 of your books and hand them out at the Gerogia Arborist Association meetings? Sorry for the derail.

Again, thank you all for posting and researching and shareing your hardearned tree wisdom with me on this thread. I will be sending the TH some cash money for yall's efforts! THanks again!
Cheers!
Robert

Like most government projects, one hand has no idea what the other hand is doing.

Went to a big SOD conference out on the coast in essentially 'ground zero' of SOD.

This took place in a center with rampant SOD infested trees throughout the property.
The parking lot was dirt, and the main attendees were Davey Tree (line clearing company)

It is ironic that the main 'task force' people would hold a conference talking about control of this disease, and then hold it in a place tottally infected, and then invite line clearance workers with their bucket trucks to the site.

The concept of 'vector' I dont think was even considered.

They also showed us aerial photos of infected Tan Oaks. For the most part, the spread was concentrated along power wire right of ways.
Gee, I wonder why?

In the 'guidlines' you posted extreme, they say to work to figure out how to prevent the spread of this disease in order to prevent such an event from happening again.

It is well known how this came here according to the Sudden Oak Death Task Force.
Came in from nurseries importing from china.

When asked what, if any policies and enforcement activities are being undertaken the first answer is invariably 'we need more money and personnel'.

As for removing Tan Oaks, well thats a joke. Their are thousands and thousands if not millions of Tan Oaks covering huge areas of CA. and Oregon.

And a final point regarding the effectiveness of the 'sudden oak death task force' (what a joke):

They have a headquarters here in my county. It is a beautiful new office building with huge expanses of windows, modern as modern can be. Must have cost millions to build.

O.k. well DIRECTLY across the street is a HUGE firewood operation. Big rigs coming in with trunk wood, teams of guys splitting it and stacking it, and smaller rigs hauling it to every part of the county to homes.

Again, right in plain clear view of this new 'headquarters'.

For the past four years, they have been harvesting SOD infected Tan Oaks and processing it in this yard.

In my opinion, the only reason why no one has said anything is because of fear of actually having to do something instead of engaging in office politics or painting their finger nails or making sure they are in time for their scheduled breaks or numerous holidays.

SOD is here to stay, after all their is huge federal grant money involved which keeps alot of people employed....
Even the chemical companies have devised a 'cure' which requires you to keep buying their product and applying it every year.

rant over

Back