Sharpening: part 2, square chisel chain.

Not quite sure what you mean. I think I know what your getting at though. Since my first goof I haven't filed the tooth back as far as it should or could be. To be honest I am running out of chain to file on this saw.

Do I have this corner business right???

Here are some pics I grabbed from AS:

Attachments

• LHcutter.jpg
    LHcutter.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 27
  • cutter7.jpg
    cutter7.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 27
  • RHcutter.jpg
    RHcutter.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 28
  • tooth%20slight%20side%20beak%20and%20gullet%20intact.JPG
    tooth%20slight%20side%20beak%20and%20gullet%20intact.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 151
  • Toth%20filed%20square.JPG
    Toth%20filed%20square.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 152
See how the sideplate is about 85deg. to the bar. Corner of file meets at the tooth corner.

Those are some very good pics Tzed. I see what your getting at. It took a bit of looking and comparing on my part.

I'll see if I can improve a little more.

This is the second refiling after the goof. The first refile was dissappointing cutting wood but after cutting I still was too low on the corner. Not by much but enough to see that I could hit that corner better.

Brain, that was a good one. Never ceases to amaze me the detail you pick up on when it comes to pics :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is your top plate angle? I believe stock Stihl chisel is 20 degrees from perpendicular to the bar.

Yes ,close to that

Thanks Dave, you are pretty much answering my next question.

Some of my better looking teeth are coming in at around 20 to 25 degrees. I didn't know if this was correct or not. I couldn't get pics of those. They were very blurry.

I have been trying to maintain that 30 to 35 degree angle and it just isn't working out to good.

To be honest if my corner is correct, side plate is correct the top plate angle when looking down on top of the tooth looks like ripping chain which has a 10 degree top plate new out of the box.

I have no idea if this is the way it is suppose to be or not. I can find pics but coming up short on angle numbers.

You could pick up a new chain (looks like you're due soon anyway) and compare to that. If your local dealer doesn't stock square ground chain, then PM me and I'll make you a chain off my roll.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The paperwork that came with my new Stihl chain says 20 degree top plate angle. Just a little less than the witness mark, which should be 30.

The witness mark on the factory square ground is at 20 degrees. It looks almost perpendicular to the tooth.

We are making more progress.

Brian, I don't need a loop made. If you can spare a small length like 5 links so I can have a guide to by that would be great. This is the way I learned to round file by trying to make my teeth look like the way they do when a new chain was put on the saw.

I'll pm you later. I am buried in office work right now for the end of the year crap and I have a small repair to do for tommorow's work.

I can just see the face of one of our Sthil dealers if I asked for this chain. :?:?. " You want what" " I have never heard of this" " What do you want that for won't this be just as good."

Got a chance to make a few practice cuts before it got dark in some hardwood logs with corrections made in the chain.

Wow, what a difference now. The chain was cutting just as fast maybe even a little faster than the goof filed chain. I am quite pleased. It felt like when I first tried RS on a saw years ago.

Got to practice a little more to really get it right. It sure is nice to learn something new and different about sharpening a chainsaw.

Thanks guys for steering me in the right direction.

some more pics of the guide for you :)
The guide is at the end of the production line soon to be on the market I will tell you were and when as soon as know about it !
Only reason I got one is that I'am testing it for enginer who design it.

In the "both" picture it shows a .325 guide to to the left and the Square guide to the right.
The Roller pic is with two different rollers so you can alter the angels to your choice just shift rollers and your good to go, but it might be a different solution to this with different file sizes instead time will tell ,,

Both.jpg

left.jpg

leftfront.jpg

rollers.jpg

//Kipp

I think Amicksuperstore will sell them ,,, I'm not sure, but I can call Goran at Atop and ask him if you like !!

There was one of those type guides at the Ohio GTG last Sat .The guys that had tried them out didn't really like them .

I did learn some stuff from talking to some really good filers though .My race chains are actually done "old school " very aggressive and cut to beat hell ---on a reed valver . They aren't worth two shakes of a lambs tail on lower torque higher RPM modern saws . Well,live and learn they say .

For some reason I still get the old Clydesdale type saws mixed in the the thoroughbreds .They Ain't the same .

Back