Screw up

Al, I run them dry for long term storage...seems to work well for a number of years not being used. I was more thinking that repeatedly drying out might be damaging to the parts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have an 042 Stihl that is a dandy old saw when it runs .Every time I use that frustrating SOB it needs a rebuild on the carb and I've always ran it dry .

That thing pizzed me off to the point I nearly flung it under one of my dozers and flattened that thing like a pancake but I refrained .After I get over my mad-on ,which has been several years at this point ,I'm going to once again make love to that fickle carb and leave the gas in it to run a little test .

I don't know the answer .Big Dave N ,who has been around saws since Shep was a pup never even drained his race saws back in the day .Poured to old gas out come spring time and ran the midwest circuit .

Do you have any idea how long it takes for gas sitting in a saw to go bad, to the point where it will mess up the carb?

The worst case I ever saw was a fuel filter that had melted in the tank. The guy brought it in and said it wouldn't start :lol:
That saw stunk to high hell.

It seems that long running characteristics in a saw are closely tied to the morality of the operator.Superior fellows such as Gary have no problems but certain persons steeped in moral turpitude are plagued with recalcitrant saws.
:P

Oh there you go old wordsmith .Let me cogitate on those words of wit and decipher exactly what you just said .I might have to "google " it again .:lol:

Moral turp:O Ha,I've been called a lot of things .Once I was discribed as an eastern liberal masqurading in redneck clothing .:|:

I am usually just referred to as "Sasquatch"...

:lol:

Gary
Well,I've been tagged with that too .

About 25 years ago a bunch of morons were enrapped in this "Yeti " thing .One of those idiots reported seeing a large hairly ape type wearing a green army type coat splitting wood . That hairy ape was me in a navy foul weather jacket .:what: I dunno maybe my knuckles really do drag the ground .I always assumed it was just short legs .:|:

Back