Screw up

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
Just a heads up to people on something gone wrong .

Last winter ,early spring I got an 038 Mag from Skwerl ,rebuilt it and souped it up ,ran like a scalded ape but kind of acted up as of late .I couldn't figure it out for love nor money .

Today I uncovered the mystery and it was an oversite on my part .When I did the rebuild I used a marginal used top anti vib mount I thought was okay but it wasn't . The danged thing allowed too much movement and caused the cylinder to make contact with the boot ,most likely on an upcut and burnt a hole it .

So ,a word to the wise ,if it looks like a part might fail replace it before you just have to do another tear down . Live and learn .On a side note it didn't harm the engine,thank heavens because I have hours of work on this thing . Thank heaven for 32 to 1 mix .

You've been running the crap outta that saw this year, Al. Some might think it was the only saw you owned (or at least one of your favorites). :P
Glad you caught it before there was any serious damage. And I'm glad you're enjoying the saw so much, it deserved a good home. 8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had to run it to break it in . That little pup will leave my 048's and Mac SP 81 in the dust . The saws don't get much use in summer so I had to make the best of it .

Now ,the other saw I got from this site a 2100 Huskey ,I'm going to have to get a snowmobile handle for .My fingers aren't nearly tough enough to handle that hi comp rascal with that little handle . That old dog should have a decomp .The 038 is about like pulling over a stock 066 .If I get any weaker with old age ,it's going to get one too .;)

Al, if you want a decomp in the 038 then just send the saw down to me and I'll put it in for ya. And I promise I'll get the saw back to you real quick-like. ;)

Well B,ya know ,come to think of it,it's about time you start tweeking a few yourself . You do pretty good repairing them,go a step further ,you might surprise yourself .At least I did myself . Come to find out it isn't "black magic " at all ,just physics .;)

That's what it was but it didn't act like one .The thing would run ,all out 4 cycling like it was supposed to .Into the cut it got with the program ,just like it should .However at the end of the run it would not back down on the r's unless I hit the brake .

It acted just like it had a tuned pipe .Once it hit resonance it was like an afterburner kicked in but it did that before I found the bad boot ,right after the rebuild actually . Now I've seen leaks but never something like this ,ever .Usually a leak will kill the power ,this did not ,at all .Then again I might have had the Bing carb out to the stops .

A new one on me for sure .:? I learned something so it's not a total lose .

Al, if you need a carb kit for that saw I got you covered. I have an unopened diaphram kit from Stihl, Tommy Thompson sent it to me with the restored 038 Magnum that I auctioned off last year.

It was opening and closing depending on how you torqued on the saw. Had a 028 do the same thing and had me baffled. The only other occurrence that gave similar symptoms was a fuel tank vent that plugged up.

Al, if you need a carb kit for that saw I got you covered. I have an unopened diaphram kit from Stihl, Tommy Thompson sent it to me with the restored 038 Magnum that I auctioned off last year.

You talking about my carb kit?:what:

:P:lol:

Thanks but actually I found a place that sells rebuild kits for the Bings ,pretty cheap too . I ordered 6 and rebuilt this one plus the one on Tom the tree guys 038 Mag .

I think I had put a link on here some time ago but if anybody needs it again ,speak up ,I'll find it .About 6 bucks a pop I think .

Oh,let me mention the fact that the Bings use a plastic fuel shut off lever ,I know of no way to adjust it other than perhaps heating the lever .Doesn't matter though if it works as is .

Skwishey, you want it? Send me your address and I'll drop it in the mail for you. Looks like Al's covered. :)

It had a new carb so you should be set for a long time unless you use gas with a high ethanol percentage. I used to get 10-15 years on a carb with no issues. But in the last year I've wiped out a couple carbs, primer bulbs and fuel lines due to ethanol in the fuel.

About carbs .Two saws ,old ones my first two .A Poulan S-25 and Mac Pm 610 have never ever had any carb work done on them ,none ,nil ,nothing .Both saws however have had the fuel lines changed .Now we are talking 30 plus years here .

Skwishey, I don't have any use for it, it's for that specific saw. It won't do me any good with my stable of Huskys and it certainly won't fit the 200T carb. I don't even know anyone around here with an 038 Magnum any more.

If mine buggers up I'll just send ya the whole saw for warranty coverage.:lol:

Heck if ya want to send it no problemo but I'm sure it'll just get filed for the time being. But I do plan on keeping that saw indefinetly, it's a beaut and if I sink it into some firewood once a year that's good enough for me.8)

As far as the carb issues and low grade fuel. DOes race fuel have ethanol in it now?

The indians that own the quicky mart have a race fuel pump, for the harleys on the way to the beach!

About carbs .Two saws ,old ones my first two .A Poulan S-25 and Mac Pm 610 have never ever had any carb work done on them ,none ,nil ,nothing .Both saws however have had the fuel lines changed .Now we are talking 30 plus years here .

The Stihl 028 I had was bought brand new by my Dad in 1984. Still has the same unrebuilt carb in it. I have never messed with the H and L screws either... cleaned the air filter when it needed it, and changed the fuel filter a couple of times. It is still wearin' the original Stihl 20" bar too. That saw has cut craploads of wood. It has been run on Stihl oil at 50:1 for it's entire life. Never had anything in it but Stihl bar oil too. This saw is the main reason I have stuck with Stihl all these years. Bulletproof. :)

I just recently gave the saw back to my dad since he needed it for some storm cleanup from some of the winds we get up here... it was on permanent loan anyways... :)

Gary

Well ,I certainly cannot explain how one chainsaw can run for decades and have no rebuilds .If I could people would call me guru of carbs of which I'm not .I cannot explain nor have a clue why this happens but it does .:?

i'd say maintenance and being easy on it.keeping the chain adjusted and stopping when you know the chain just took a hit.

i'm amazed at my buddies when they laugh at me for tearing them down and blowing everything out with compressed air.my stuff always starts and looks top notch. i laugh back on the job while they are working on their stuff and i'm just cuttin' away!

i have only toasted one saw and that was a 55 rancher that is only three years old.fuel line crapped out from this lousy gas

Maybe the longevity of the carb parts has something to do with the gaskets and diaphragms staying wet, never allowed to dry out? Just a guess...

They say to run them dry if you are going to store them. Does it work,good question ??? I've done both and in spite of popular opinon found no diff ,strange as that may seem .I do think it's a good idea though .

In addition to those two older saws I mentioned my old mans' Mac PM 610 was never ran dry either and never had the carb off at any time I can remember,vintage early 80's . I don't know the answer ,maybe just blind luck .

Back