Scarpa Hiking Boots w Spikes ? ...

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Similar to the Winter On Spikes thread , have Scarpa hiking boots w Vibram soles. Well defined arch and heel and seems it would be fine , mebbee easier than my Wescos for some work. Question , does anyone use Scarpa's w Spikes successfully ?

I'd think anything with a defined heel should work ok. I like fairly high top boots, with everything laced up tight. Less overall movement.

They will work. How long they will last and how comfortable they are, will depend on the strength of the arch design on your particular Scarpa model.

I'm not familiar with Scarpa but I stopped using linemen boots years age in favour of heavy hikers.

I had a pair of scarpas I loved, great for both pruning and spurs. Hiking boots with square heels are good for spurs. A lot of hikers have diagonally oriented heels which messes with spur fit

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks ! , the dry fit (home in front of the woodstove) seems like it should work ... will try them inTree soon

I have some scarpas I think their called Wrangell.
Killer boots. Had em for probably 3 years now (don't wear them every day though)
Can't say really anything bad about them. A bit heavy and stiff for spikeless climbing would be the only drawback.
I mostly wear them when I know I'm going to be standing in hooks all day or when we're on the real steep, tough terrain .

I have been climbing in Scarpas SL Active leather boots for years, spurs, SRT and luv them!

Z1i3gF3h.jpg

Hmmm, mabey just standard...just not sure...

the boot sizes do run a bit small, I went up a size bigger in these

They are a backpacking boot with a stiff shank

I have finally tried them out , though not the same exact feel as my Wesco's if I get the ankle strap good and snug the Scarpa's work fine. We are doing about thirty forested Maple pull trees post construction , plenty stable climbing to set the lines.

Hah ... For thirty pull trees I'd just assume spike up and get it choked exact as opposed to setting lines from the ground which is always an option

I have finally tried them out , though not the same exact feel as my Wesco's if I get the ankle strap good and snug the Scarpa's work fine. We are doing about thirty forested Maple pull trees post construction , plenty stable climbing to set the lines.
Are you using the Velcro lower straps? Perfect fit immediately, every time. Can’t believe gaffs have been around for 100+ years and we just recently got a better strap.
AFAIK just Buckingham makes them.

Similar to the Winter On Spikes thread , have Scarpa hiking boots w Vibram soles. Well defined arch and heel and seems it would be fine , mebbee easier than my Wescos for some work. Question , does anyone use Scarpa's w Spikes successfully ?
I know I am late to this thread, but I am using my Scarpas to learn on a tree in my yard (it will come down, either by me, or the environment). I made it up - twice - to thirty feet today using Geckos and my hunting boots. I could not climb in my Salomon boots, not enough support, and I've found my practice sessions were much improved when I bought some hook and loop straps to replace the belt and buckle my Geckos came with.

Im late on this thread as well but I bought a pair of Scarpa's about 4 months ago. They work great in spikes. I spent 10 hours in spikes about two weeks ago taking down a big cottonwood. At the end of the day I felt my dawgs barking but it wasn't really all that bad. The rest of my body was aching and cramping but my feet were good to go. The only issue I have with the pair I got is that the midsole is a soft foam that is getting tore up by tight crotched elms. Even though the foam is getting tore up I suspect they will last me a few years, and I climb pruning and removing about 4 days a week.

Back