Sailing

Yeah i only can do hand stuff, haven't learned the sewing machine yet. The wife can make all sorts of stuff tho, but i need a heavier machine before doing sails and stuff. Sails are pretty much like upholstery rather than regular sewing because of the material.

And Maine is such a great place to cruise, we have so many good memories from our time there.
PS, very glad we had radar and a good depth sounder. Eyeball navigation is not sufficient oftentimes 😎

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, going to get a chartplotter app, I've gotten too close to hidden ledge too many times.

I'm hoping if I can learn competency here, I'll be setting myself up for success further afield when I scale up boats. See you in Tas in a few years Fiona!

For a few hours one afternoon I sailed an 'El Toro", Basically an 8 foot pram with a keel and sail, on a natural lake, no larger that 5 acres in size. I enjoyed it immensely. I knew nothing about sailing before that, but figured it out within 30 minutes. I was looping and doing figure 8s on the lake in not time. But look out for that Boom! Ha!

Sailing is the best!

Ha, Gerry and your awesomely simple, descriptive writing!

You put me there with you!

Life is truly an adventure in an 8 foot pram sailing on a 5 acre lake.

I recall the Lake of the Woods get-together with Willie Ginn. Remember that one! A much bigger lake, more alpine, with a few small craft sailing and motoring, late season. Watching the craft on the lake made me recall sailing on that little 5 acre lake. Silently, effortlessly making your way across the water.

Life is so rich. Where'd Dave go?

Those little hondas are great!
Thanks for sharing your shakedown with us :)

Wow, What a great thread. First time reading it as i’m a power boat gal.

Ruel, google mooring in the City of Marathon Florida. I’m trying to peak your interest in some seasonal work down here. Our ”winters” would be perfect for you.

Fiona, you are an amazing woman!

I don't know if I ever posted these in another thread or not. My BIL was a Navy Submariner and stationed at Pearl Harbor. On one of the four trips to HI (he took 2 weeks off each year to tour guide us) he bought a 39' sailboat, taught himself to sail and we all sailed to Molokai and lived on the boat for a week while exploring there. It was an awesome adventure. Billy is uber smart and competent...he did a great job with all of it. Here are a few picts:

Attachments

• Billys boat  (1).jpg
    Billys boat (1).jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Billys boat  (2).JPG
    Billys boat (2).JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Billys boat  (3).JPG
    Billys boat (3).JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Billys boat  (4).JPG
    Billys boat (4).JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Billys boat  (5).JPG
    Billys boat (5).JPG
    423 KB · Views: 9
And more:

Attachments

• Billys boat  (5).JPG
    Billys boat (5).JPG
    423 KB · Views: 4
  • Billys boat  (6).JPG
    Billys boat (6).JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    378.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00009.JPG
    DSC00009.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00015.JPG
    DSC00015.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 5
And.....That's all for now folks.

The sub we saw at daybreak as we sailed out...it was returning to port. Billy had been fire control officer on a boat like that before (I thought at first he was a firefighter on the sub...nope...he was part of the system to track targets and plot solutions to fire torpedos, missiles, etc.) He enlisted at 17....retired as a Lt. Commander. But, he's a showoff.... :D

Attachments

• DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    417.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00032.JPG
    DSC00032.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    392.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00050.JPG
    DSC00050.JPG
    408.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC00051.JPG
    DSC00051.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 4
I just noticed the picture with bungee straps on every damn thing. On one of the transits, Billy laid it over a few times...it was a real attention getter...folks started squalling and screaming WTF and Billy and I just laughed. Then some of them started puking and Billy and I just laughed even more. OK...I am ashamed to admit that. And I am laughing again now!

Back from a short shakedown. Nothing broke, variable wind but she went along nicely when it was up. Jib sheet is 10 mm and wanted to take riding turns on the winches. Going to swap out for 8mm and see if that's better. My tall ship sailing friend came along and was marvelous trouble shooting help. 20210807_233509.jpg

Bopping around solo this afternoon. Discovered two things that need fixing that weren't apparent in light winds yesterday. Still getting to know the boat and figure out single handing her. Gorgeous sailing and nothing critical broke, a good day on the water 20210808_162251.jpg

Hell yeah!

I just got back from a paddle in light rain, the Sound was empty but for us, conditions were calm, tide was low. Awesomeness!

Was that a kayak paddle or an SUP.?

I'm done very little SUP but the kayak... I love tooling around like that. I'll probably take one and leave it down at the farm so I can explore down there some.

I was in a kayak and my son was on a paddle board. I learned first hand that kayaks are faster than sup because I kept up with him today and if we were both supping, that would never happen.

I wanted to check out kayaking a bit more. It's good stuff. I was in a little 10 footer, I'd like to try a longer sea kayak sometime.

Yes, leave one at the farm! Exploring via low draft kayak or sup is the bomb!

Back