Running saws with loose mufflers

Here's another thing about an 020/200t .More times than not unless the piston is cooked the piston face and the muffler will all carboned up .The reason being these little saws have enormous transfer ports for their size and can really push the fuel though .If anything would save them from a burn out it's that fact alone .Of course an air leak will kill the best of them .IMO it's what kills all of them that don't die like Humpty Dumpty from a great fall .

Interesting Al

But Inbredjed said the piston looks OK
The saw is acting after some months of use without the muffler. Can't this be done by dirt ingestion throw the exhaust?
The 200T could be prone to that because the exhaust (without muffler) is almost completely enclosed in the housing, which keeps all the dust it can come in.
Thanks Al.

Funny thing is: John said that the pistons and jugs were always fine. We run Valvoline two-cycle. Your right about the plastic though.

I'm having this problem on one of my 200Ts now. Will be tearing the saw apart tomorrow. I had never heard of the belleville washer. Good to know, thanks.

Al. Air leak, I think that's what just blew up my ms200. 12 yrs old, this will be the third jug and piston second used one.....

Tons of em in the boneyard.

On that here's what I found on several including one of my own .The 020 and 200 T both use roller bearings that have a fiber insert type of thrust washer .After a period of time they develop side slop which heats the seal and they fail .It's not immediate but over a stretch of time .May start out after 15 minutes of running time and steadily decreasing in time before it starts to lean out .Mine was so bad it started to fail on the third cut .Finaly a light bulb went off ,duh .

All that time it never dawned on me.I blamed the Zama carb .

Seals and bearings are easy to change on this model.Parts cost about 60 bucks ,cheap insurance .BTW I got to it before it cooked the piston .That would have been sad day because that one was my hot runner--Smitherized .:lol:

On that here's what I found on several including one of my own .The 020 and 200 T both use roller bearings that have a fiber insert type of thrust washer .After a period of time they develop side slop which heats the seal and they fail .It's not immediate but over a stretch of time .May start out after 15 minutes of running time and steadily decreasing in time before it starts to lean out .Mine was so bad it started to fail on the third cut .Finaly a light bulb went off ,duh .

All that time it never dawned on me.I blamed the Zama carb.

Seals and bearings are easy to change on this model.Parts cost about 60 bucks ,cheap insurance .BTW I got to it before it cooked the piston .That would have been sad day because that one was my hot runner--Smitherized .:lol:

Al: I have to confess this because it's so funny: about a month ago, I replaced my seals, and then went boasting about it at the shop. (We never do it cause it's so hard.) Anyways: my saw continues to run horrible..... Turns out.... I put the darned things in backwards. :lol: :|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|::|:

What ,the seals ? They are an odd ball size .I had the generic but I don't know what I did with the info .

Kind of wierd thing,not the normal double lipped seal used on most chainsaws .They are easy enough to change .You can pry them out with a couple of little screwdrivers or a pair of ice picks .

Many times mufflers come loose due to faulty tension and or with bad gasket.
Gaskets that are hard and compressed don't keep tension and it often creates issues.

Uneven surface that gasket sit on cylinder and muffler is result of this and when assembled it is just repeated no matter what is done.

Back