Riding mower help

Tucker943

Bamboo Plantation Owner
So its not tree care related. But you guys are pretty smart and well rounded so Im sure you can help. My MTD riding mower has a 15 horse something or other engine. I was mowing my lawn for the first time after winter and the bugger let out a blast of oil smoke. I checked the oil and its overfull, which I didn't do, thin, and gassy smelling. Someone suggested the needle in the fuel bowl might be stuck and that might be causing trouble? Its a horizontal engine if that matters? Whats up with this? After it blew that cloud of smoke it cleared up for the most part. I only ran it for another minute after it did that.

Mine will run gas through to the oil like that if the throttle is left on at all while sitting. Possible it sat like that? Change the oil and close the throttle right off when sitting was the solution for me.

My ride 'em mower is 30 years old this year. lol.

Pretty easy to clean the bowl and needle float. Change out the oil.
If you pull the filter housing, the carb less hoses, pretty much just slides right off on most engines. Clean it in some carb cleaner and gentle air. Check the needle and seat and see if they are worn or gunked up. The little nut on the bottom of the bowl needs checked as well. Put it back together and fire her up.. Piece of grass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe I left the throttle wide open. I treated it with Star Tron before winter and let it run through the system before shutting it down. I was hoping that would let me start the yea with a working mower, as it always has before. I love that star tron stuff. All my yard tools run like a champ each spring when I fire them up.

Sounds like it needs a fuel shutoff for storage.
By using gravity as the feed system the needle is the only on/off valve.

I have had the same thing happen a couple times. Just added a on/off valve, and store with the carb empty.

Shouldn't be a problem. Like they said, take the bowl off and clean the needle and seat and blast what ever you can with carb cleaner. Be sure to check the needle and seat for even the slightest wear, it will show up as a shiny ring on the needle. Hat to leak past the rings to get to the crankcase, might have loosened up some gunk to blast out the cloud of blue smoke. Im sure you did not hurt anything if you shut her down right away, but it is always a good idea to check a small four stroke engine after a period of long storage for gas in the oil. diluted oil can take out a bearing pretty fast.

Ya Ive been staring down the barrel of push cutting lately. Im NOT buying a mower right now. Im house shopping and wont be set back by my lawn. Ill Round Up the yard before I buy a new rider.

Cleaned the bowl on the bottom of the carb, changed the oil, cut my 12" high lawn and everything is peaches and cream. No gas in the oil, no smoke, all the leaking all over the engine at the gaskets stopped.

I think the there was so much thinned out gas in the crankcase it was trying to push it out every which way.

I am amazed at Marvel Mystery Oil. Seems to be a good bet for all machines, IME. I just have a noisy lifter on my Rover, MMO in the gas, once...quiet.

Back