Reseasoned another cast iron skillet

Benjo75

Treehouser
Got an 18" skillet given to me last week. A friend was cleaning out his moms house and shop and was going to throw it away. He gave it to me. It's taken almost a week but I think I almost have it ready to use. It will take some cooking but it will get better in the next couple years. He's bringing another dutch oven in a few days too. It's amazing what people will throw away.

Attachments

• 20200614_174053.jpg
    20200614_174053.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200614_210331.jpg
    20200614_210331.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200616_190926.jpg
    20200616_190926.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200617_192603.jpg
    20200617_192603.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
Beauty!

That would be handy with those two handles.

Dad's favorite skillet was stolen by the neighbor kids.

Well...their dad took it from elk camp.

Years later he Dad found it in their hog barn.....filled with pig shit.

Took him and us many, many years to cook the flavor out of that pan.......wouldn't smell till it got hot!

Never give up.

Nice resto.

Mmm... Pigshit burgers :^D

Pan above looks like a Lodge that's had it's interior surface improved. Is it a Lodge you sanded the bumps off of? I have a fair amount of iron. A couple Griswolds and Wagners that were my fathers, and some Wagners I bought myself when you still could get them new in a store. You can't beat cast iron. My main pan permanently sits on the stove, and rarely even gets cleaned. I usually just wipe it out if it has bits of egg or something in it. It only sees water if I cook something saucy.

Mom's main pan is a griswold.

I have several that are unmarked.....and paper thin.

They were probably my great grandparents pans.

Mine are all Lodge save for a Wagner griddle that I believe is pretty modern.

I won't use teflon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I think it's a Lodge. It had a pretty good amount of rust and pitting. I used a flap disk on the side grinder and smoothed it out. Left it in the burn pile fire for about a day. Soaked it in half vinegar and half water for a day. Re sanded it. Then sanded it finer and finer. I've seasoned in 6 coats of Avacado oil so far. It's smoke point is 520 and I've been getting it about 450. Just sitting around the fire tonight re oiling it about every hour.

Jim, might only be able to cook pork in yours for a while. Lol.

I have quite a few skillets and several dutch ovens. But I've never had an 18" skillet. I believe it's going to hold quite a bit of bacon. One gallon of vinegar and one gallon of water only came halfway up the sides.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've read that the newer iron is left rough so the factory seasoning will adhere better. Which is why the newer ones usually stick a little more that the older ones.

My father used to have what I remember being about an 18" pan. When he was dying from cancer he had a nurse originally from Africa coming to the house to care for him. She was interested in the pan, and had a large family so I gave it to her. I figured it was a better match for her. I don't need anything that big myself.

I love cast iron cookware. We have one from my grandmothers' kitchen, and one from M's mothers'. They are pretty special to us, let alone how fine they are to use. We also have an older dutch oven that sees little use since we acquired a much bigger newer enameled dutch oven ( by Lodge) that kills a 4 pound pot roast with about the same pounds of onions, carrots, and potatoes.

Nice stuff, all of you peeps.

Last edited:
Simply use a flap grinder. Cleans them up quick. Then simply season them. Total process takes a day or so.
Been doing it for years with various pans

They say the foundry sand used to manufacture Griswolds was finer resulting in a much smoother finish which seasons up easier. Not as heavy thick as Lodge but a pleasure to use , haven't been made in over sixty years ...

Beauty!

That would be handy with those two handles.

Dad's favorite skillet was stolen by the neighbor kids.

Well...their dad took it from elk camp.

Years later he Dad found it in their hog barn.....filled with pig shit.

Took him and us many, many years to cook the flavor out of that pan.......wouldn't smell till it got hot!

Never give up.

Nice resto.

So after many years of eating food the flavor of pig shit you succeeded.

This is some kind of well known joke isn’t it?

I use olive, and I don't get fancy with initial seasoning. One or two oil/heat treatments, then let the pan do it's thing naturally over time.

Back