Replacing trailer axles

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Has anyone replaced any sort of axles under their trailer? My grapple trailer is going to get a overhaul this fall. I was thinking about throwing new axles, possibly heavier, underneath it. Leaf springs etc. It was used and abused in the past and id like to make it "new" again.

I was wondering where do i start? Would i find something to bolt in, or will welding be required?

Any ideas?

Hey Brendon, Tim and I replaced 2 7k axles on our trailer earlier this year. It should all be bolt on. Find the axle manufacturer you want to use, find a dealer, and then take the trailer to the dealer if possible and have them take the measurements. We measured ourselves, but if I did it again I would probably just have the dealer do it.

It should be pretty easy for you to do.

Axles are bolt in unless you are moving them one way or the other. Typically. The heavier springs might add a twist to things in terms of the spring hangers you have versus what you might need. Maybe think about taking your spring packs to a spring shop and having a leaf added. The only catch there is it will change your trailer height. Can you add air bags as opposed to changing your springs?

For what it's worth. I was talking with the gator trailer guys today, the 8k axles they are putting on the gooseneck trailer I'm looking at has the same brake setup as the 10k dually axle setup. He lead me to believe it would bolt in fairly easily on most single tire setups now.

I've never "replaced " but I have built .

Dexter is most likely the leading manufacture of trailer axles and offer many styles .Some mobile home axles would work and usually can be had fairly cheaply depending on the load rating.I'm thinking they come in the 6-7000 pound range .

One thing to watch are the tires .Mobile home tires are basically made for a one way trip.If you use them for a machinery trailer you are better off to tube them up right from the start because without they don't get a lot of milage .You need to keep them aired up say at least 80 psi to get any life out of them .

Now that said if there really isn't anything wrong with the present axles why change them ?It's a simple matter of just making certain the bearings are in good shape and the bearings greased ,brakes in good working order .

FWIW my machinery trailer was made in the early 60's with two 8/9000 pound Dexters ,still works just fine .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya I guess your right al. There is nothing wrong, but if I can find the manufacturer of them it would be nice to get new bearings , backing plates and brakes. Otherwise I'll opt for new assembly if I can't figure it out.

Yes tires are key. They are load range G. I just replaced one myself the best price I found was just under 300 for one tire. Amazon too. Heavy walled tire for sure. I'd like for it to
Be a dually but not enough room underneath I'm affraid.

Bearing houses should have no problem with the bearings and seals. Usually cheap also. I think the backing plates are quite easy to come by as well.

My trailer has surge brakes on it that aren't working for some reason. I think NY law make them illegal for my weight tag now anyway. I looked for electric brake setup and think you just need to know diameter of drum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sweet. Crawled under there today trying to get brakes to work, found a dexter stamp. Easy peasy. Will order new backing plates with brakes, and rewire that baby. Whatta mess.

Back