Replacement bar noses

Glad you all get the good shit. Must be a CA thing. Or maybe the dealers are buying counterfeit china crap.
Same chain, Pferd worked great, Woodys worked great, Stihl worked great. Oregon, buggered

I just get a new file when I have to start bearing down. I'd guesstimate I use three files per chain. Maybe slightly less.

Per filing? I used to use about 2 old Oregon files to sharpen a 32" chain that hit pavement without bearing down into it.

I've gotten my files by the dozen from Frawley's or Stahl's, so you could try ordering from them. Could be that I run my files duller than most, but that wouldn't explain my poor luck with other brands.

Another thought that just came to me regarding how I file in a vise. Once the initial sharpness is gone on a file, and I start bearing down on it some, that could make for ideal cutting conditions. Many cutting tools have an ideal feed rate: too fast, and the cutter can wear fast or get damaged, too slow and it dulls fast by abrasion rather than cutting. This is most important when it comes to machining metal on a lathe or mill, it could be a similar case with the file that I'm able to extend it's life by bearing down on it harder.

No, per entire chain. IOW, if I buy a loop of chain and a three pack of files, I'd expect them to be gone at the same time. Close to it anyway. I have a harder time keeping track of stuff than I used to. It was easier knowing what I had when I only had two saws; one ⅜" and one ⅜"lp.

Do you toss them at 50% like most people who don't bother with maintaining the depth gauges? I wouldn't blame you if you did, just trying to better gauge how much life you get out of the files. I honestly don't know how many files per chain I use, but I know I could easily sharpen 5-10 chains for someone per file in a day, and I would get 1-3 days out of a file so it seemed.

To supplement my earlier post: some chains like .404 make you think the file is dull, but you are just moving that much more metal. Pushing harder is a must in a way to counter the increased cutting surface area.

I take the chains down to nothing. A chain isn't officially "done" til at least one tooth is missing. It's then taken out of active service, and used for vines and crap on my small saws, or a death run stumping or cutting roots on my big saws.

Check that the bar is straight.

Grind off these 3 leftmost rivets.

Slip nose off

Slip nose on.

Pound 3 rivets.

Grind smooth as needed.

Done.

View attachment 120073
Check your rails.

This bar was just dressed a bit.

Lasts and lasts.
Someone over-tightened the chain today and started to burn up this nose.
Learning lesson.

I didn't look at it after he loosened it and made a final cut.
I've got another 20" bar or 2 in the truck.

i use a brass-brush to clean my files when they start to feel clogged up (multiple times during one chain), some people just tap them but brushing works better for me.

I have an Oregon raker file, and it's held up pretty well. Came with a gauge in a package. It's used mostly on Stihl chain, and a little bit of Carlton. I wonder how many factories Oregon is involved with, and if that explains different experiences everyone seems to have?
I took a pic of my Oregon file/gauge today. Swiss made. Vallorbe?

IMG_20220428_151833.jpg

edit:
I don't know if I posted this before, but this is my case for the raker file/gauge...

IMG_20190712_192953.jpg

Last edited:
Back