Rear handled Sthils, the previous generation

Ax-Man

Don't make me chop you
With the small Sthils being some of the top threads in the chainsaw section for the present time I thought I would put this up to show some of the former rear handled or AVP models that evolved into the rear handled MS 200. Most of you guys may or may not be familiar with these saws. I have always been somewhat of a nut when it comes to these older 020's. I try to make them as good looking as I can with the correct body parts, engines and carbs according to the markings on the gas tanks without going overboard or hurting to much in the pocketbook.

Here goes, I hope my facts are correct.

Pic 1 and 2 show the first 020 AV. AV being anti-vib. The P on the gas tank was the professional model or the rear handled version. The clutch cover also had a P on it but it came off cleaning up the saw. I have no idea why or how this notion came about. To me it is backwards, the tophandle version would be a better choice for a pro climber.

The 020 AV(P) has a 38mm engine. Which was 32cc or 2.0 cu. in. with a simple point and condenser ignition. The saw came with a simple hard plastic hand guard that is very brittle and easy to break. No rubber on the round front handle just bare metal. Carbs were usually the Tilltitson HU. These saws came with 1/4 pitch chain with 12 or 14 in. bars In it's day it was probaly a deluxe model to have.

Pic #3 is another 38mm AVP which is basically the same saw only with a electronic ignition and a some rubber on the front handle. The electronic ignitions were just simple transistorized modules about the size of your thumbnail that took the place of the points and condenser and was located under the flywheel in the same place as the points and condenser. The electronic ignitions aren't all the same in the 020 line-up. Some have what I think would be called a capacitor discharge ignition,again under the flywheel, others have the trigger module mounted with a right angle bracket to the coil on the outside of the flywheel. This type ignition was more common on the Super's. I imagine this is for keeping the module cooler. Carbs on these saws could again be Tilly HU or the Walbro WA.

I tossed that 1/4 in pitch carving bar on this saw just to have something different and to make the saw look nice. It is one of my better ones.

Pic # 4 is the Super AVP version of the 020. I wish that tag on the tank was in better condition but it is the best I can do for now. Carbs on the Super's were usually the Walbro WT or WA. This saw is a close relative to the present day MS rear handle 200 with a working chainbrake. The engines are almost identical. The Super version of the 020 is a 40mm or 35 cc or 2.13 cu.in. The MS has a 35.2 cc or 2.15 cu.in. engine. I have been inside both engines the 020 Super has a very noticable longer connecting rod than does the 200. The transfers are different, the 200's are open while the 020 is closed. I have never ran the two saws side by side but I think if you were to get down and dirty in a bury the bar in hardwood type cut the 020 just might edge the 200 out by a smidge. The 200's seem to fall off when you get into these types of cuts. My memory of running the 020 Super's climbing and from a bucket might be clouded as I don't remember the Super's falling off in cuts like this. The 200's definately have the 020 beat for short quick cuts hands down because of their faster chain speed and higher revving. The 200 is also a much nicer saw to run, it is lighter and better balanced and as Butch has said more egronomic. The feature I like best on the 200 is the contoured front handle. It isn't round like most saws. Feels like it is custom made for your hand when you grip it.

Pic #5 just shows the AVP 020 Super alongside my rear handled MS 200, sort of a past and present kind of thing.

Hope this wasn't too boring for some of you guys. Like I said I just have a soft spot for these 020's. I hope my info is also correct as parts on these 020's interchange readily between the early models up to the more modern type's.

Attachments

• P3220028.JPG
    P3220028.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 22
  • P3220027.JPG
    P3220027.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 22
  • P3220030.JPG
    P3220030.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 19
  • P3220031.JPG
    P3220031.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P3220035.JPG
    P3220035.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 22
Nice little collection Larry. There was never much dispute that the small Stihls were top quality saws but, personally I had no interest in them until the 019T and 020T were introduced. Poulan Tophandles ruled the day IMO because they were SOOO much better balanced for work in a tree.

Some nice looking saws you have there. I've never used one, they just didn't sell them around here.

One of my first saws was an 015, good little saw. I still have the manual, there is a rear handle version picture in it, 015AV. I've never seen one, have you? :)

I just got my new rear handle 200 yesterday. Can't wait to try it out. :D

Very interesting to see the super with a chainbrake. When we got ours, the rear handle model wasn't offered (so we were told), you bought a top handle saw and ordered a rear handle kit for it. There were no parts to make the chainbrake work with the rear handle.

Heres most of mine, I picked up a parts saw recently that I think can be brought back to life.

attachment.php

Ed

Nice lineup, Larry. I've used the 020 AVP when a guy brought me one to get into shape before firewood cutting season. I hated giving it back.

Who had the cool old 020 hedge trimmer? I remember someone showing a pict of one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the complimants. I am glad to see I am not the only one who collects these AVP's. Ed's got some lookers also.

Justin, I know we have been over this ground before and I would like to get my hands on one of those Poulans just to see for myself. All the older major climbers have made the same statement about the Poulans only the Poulans were never around here that I was aware of so I missed the boat on that one. When I started I only had two choices between the top handle Mini Mac or the Homelite Super 2's till Sthil came on board in our area.

A neighbor of mine brought me over one of those top handle Poulans to see if I could get it running. I don't think it was the same model as what your talking about. Besides the poor thing was so low on compression it wouldn't be a fair comparision anyway.

I have seen a rear handled 015 Tree Reb. I have one of those also. Your not missing anything by not seeing one.

Darin, that was me that put the pic up with the 020 with the hedge trimmer. Pretty sure it was me because I have one and did post it. That was last summer I think.

Old Al might have a Super 25 sitting around that he might loan you for a couple weeks. ;) If I had one, I would.

Here is a 015 rear handle which is anti-vibe, and the same vintage in a rigid top handle:

015AVS.jpg
015L.jpg

The ones made in Germany are usually white, and I think a very few assembled in Virginia Beach when the plant was just starting up in 1974 were white, but once the factory was really going there were all orange. This was the first model STIHL built here. I recall selling them in the '80s when I had my dealership in OK. The 015 was the first saw STIHL went after the homeowner/hobby saw market with.
This is my "FrakenSaw" that I built out of several Poulan versions of the XXV. This one has the rigid handle:

frankensaw.jpg
frankensaw2.jpg

Here is the anti-vibe version:

poulanXXV.jpg

Oh sorry, it is "Counter Vibe".
This was Poulan's answer to the 015, and was fairly well made. I was never too impressed with the filter.
I never did any tree work with one but to me it is a bit heavy to one hand but I guess that is because I am comparing it to a MS 200 T.
Eddie

I have a little Poulan similar to that, need another parts saw for Frankensaw?

I have a little Poulan similar to that, need another parts saw for Frankensaw?

Only if it is a different color!
I built that saw as a protest statement regarding badge engineering, where a once proud and great company like Poulan starts painting any color anyone wants on their saws with no regard to quality, dealer support, or maintaining the brand.
I have that saw in a couple other shades of orange/red and one that was silver!!!
So it would be cool to get a different color starter and air filter cover.
Poulan went after the big box volume sales and look where that got them, and most of the other US brands.

The Poulan S-25 was the premier climbing saw of it's day . For their age they still don't do too bad .

The last two I bought I gave 20 for one and 25 for the other . I kept one and sold the other to my wifes cousin . He likes it . Light weight and he has back problems and can't handle a large saw very well so it worked well for him .

Poulin like McCulloch kind of blew it . Some of the plastic ones are okay and some not worth taking home .

I get a rash of them about spring time that won't start from sitting since last spring with a tank full of funky gas . Dead weedwackers come about a month later ,same funky gas . More saws and leaf blowers come fall time .Yep,funky gas again .:lol:

Here is the rear handle 011 41cc. Some people may like them, but when compared to a little 36cc-38cc cheapie poulan that would out cut the 011 that ran good for what it was. It had to go :lol:. Now granted the 011 would probably out last a couple dozen poulans ;).

CopyofStihl011001.jpg

I worked on one of those orange O 11's a year or so ago .It had a wire operated throttle and a little reed about the size of a nickle under the carb . That little saw and 2 J-reds came as a package .Hadn't ran in years until I wrenched them .The J-reds were impressive ,60 cc . 620-630 I think . The only J-reds I ever worked on .

Back