PSA: When chainsaws fight back.

Canuck

Rogue Trader
Hey gents. Long time no see. I had an incident yesterday and thought I should share it as a reminder to be safe out there. I was blocking down a cottonwood trunk and tossing small pieces from over the house into the yard. Just as I was finishing a cut I leaned in and wrapped my arm around the piece to make sure it wouldn't fall and my saw kicked back and hit me in the chest. It tore me up pretty good but it could have been a lot worse. I got approx 60 stitches and 5 sutures I'm o the mend but I'll be out of commish for a few days anyways. Stitches come out in 12 days. Just reminding you all to play safe.

Damn dude, that's just a scratch. STFU and GBTW already. ;)

I've gone almost exclusively to modified snap cuts when chunking down vertical wood. Cut almost all the way through, then pull the saw out and make a small overlapping cut from the opposite side. This allows me to take my time and put my saw away with confidence and then I can just grab the piece and with a slight wiggle it's free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brian I use those most of the time too. Just got in a hurry. It was after lunch and I had 2 more trees I wanted to do that day, so I was rushing. Lesson learned.

Butch it was an MS 201.

Crazy how good I'm already feeling after 24 hours. I'm thinking I might get back and finish it tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
And Gerry. Barely bled at all. Doc said it was the location. Cuts there don't bleed much

Wow !
I hug the log often when I block down the big limbs or the heavy leaner trunks. The snap cut is useful but not always reassuring, as it doesn't need a lot to become either unbreakable or broken too soon.

Hugging ain't my style. I'll bend it over, on the bucket. I'm hugging it - sorta. Usually, I just cut level and it'll sit there. When they get big, I'll break out my 'lil wedge on a string.

Cutting without 2 hands on the saw is a critical violation at Big Green. They can suspend you for 4 days on the spot. It doesnt happen though, the majority of the guys are just plain old get it done tree guys one though is different.

The guy I work with mostly, a foreman w/ Big Green 3 years before I was born, worked his way into a district manager job by 28, regional safety director for 10 years then he left the company... now he is back, living out the glory years I guess, he says he wants to leave a legacy. Anyway, he is the real deal for sure, but having buried 3 friends and attending many funerals of guys he didnt know as the company rep, and his time in the safety department he is SUPER safety man.

It is making me a better treeman, as I was a cut and chuck, one handed cutter extraordinaire... Now I constantly try to find a way to position/cut where I can use both hands on the saw and then control the log/brush with both hands as well.

There in lies the rub MB, there is no grey area to the safety guys... in there eyes there is always a way, if there isnt get a crane or a lift or an airplane or who knows, but it isnt acceptable to say "I had to".

I agree completely with you though, however the emphasis on safety HAS helped me to grow and improve, just by trying to comply with what we all know to be unreasonable expectations.

Canuck, that is going to be a wild scar....from the time you fought a tiger;)

Nick, so are you saying this guy is very safety conscious but he also gets a lot of work done?

Back