Premixed gas to cure carb issuses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear what your saying guys and I do appreciate it.

I wish Eddie would chime in here a little more concerning these 200 carbs. Like Al, stated a little earlier Eddie's post was informative and I do have a good working knowlege of what is going on inside of these carbs.

What I would like to see instead of tests to perform is a way to actually take these carbs apart to visually check this accelerator pump. From what I gather the pump can block flow to the high side of the carb until the throttle plate is opened up which makes the pump open a passage to the high side. The pump is activated by some type of cam off the main throttle plate lever. I have looked at this but taking out this throttle shaft looks intimidating. Removing the throttle plate in the venturi is no biggie, nor are the two springs on the side of the carb. There is a small and I mean small E ring holding the shaft in place . I could get his E ring off but putting it back on would be a challenge not to mention some very tiny tools. That E ring is a tight and I mean tight fit agasinst the body of the carb. I would like to see if Eddie has ever done this or what the proper procedure is getting to this pump.

There is also a Welch plug on the metering side that can cause havoc but I am not EVEN going to go that route as these carbs aren't like the carbs of yesteryear.

I don't know if I have this right or wrong but would like to know if there is a way to get at this acclerator pump.

I read a thread by a guy in Vancouver that bypassed the accelerator pump on his 200 carb and he stated it was running great.

Eddie even said he isn't really an expert on that damned little Zama .He certainly knows more about them than I .

Evidently the one that I had sent him wasn't leaking where I thought it was but rather with in the carb innards some where .Perhaps it was with in the pump gizmo .When I get a chance I'll once again scrutinize the IPL of that thing to perhaps attempt to understand it a little better .

My stepson got 2 free Husky/Pullons from his stepbrother. The recoil rope was hanging out of the 137. The 142 had no muffler, bar, and didn't pull over. The piston looks OK, so why it won't pull? He swapped parts until he had a whole saw. Dumped the old brown gas out and put new in. 8 pulls and it fires up and runs fine. Amazing what you can get away with every once in a while.

No shit? That can be done?

Had to google my azz off but I found it.

Parrisw = Video of the saw running with the carb with the plugged off pump circuit, is being uploaded now.

What I ended up doing is pulling the little tiny welch plug and filled that area with JB weld, as well I took the o-ring off the pump piston and filled the o-ring groove with JB weld and slid it back in the hole.

the S61E is the one with the pump.

The S61A has no pump.

And the old S32 is no pump, its a old 020t carb, no limiters or anything.

Now I'm surprised with the S61A that they have no pump in them? Unless they do but don't have the brass acess plug? Anybody know?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/icTdzg6b2u8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That saw runs sweet. I like it.

Brass plug in carb body. I remember seeing that that. Is the pump under that plug??

Brass plug and the acc pump he says to JB up is inside behind the plug.

200plug.JPG 200acpmp.jpg

This is starting to make a little more sense.

I am not Eddie but lets stumble bumble through this a little. I saved Eddie's scan on the Zama carb with the pump. Here is one page. I can't get the second page up so i will make another post.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 8
I see the cut away on the metering side showing the ac pump. The question I have is the test to see if the pump is working .

Seems like a simple test to do. Where exactly is that tube inserted into??? Remove that brass plug and put the tube into that hole to see if the pump is working?? How do we get that brass plug out without mangling it or do we have to buy a new kit with the plug in it.

The article is contradictory to me. It starts out singing praises about the ac pump. At the end it saying there could be a fault with ac pump showing a test to see if is working along with other words saying it is not sealing in it's little chamber.

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 34
I got a little ahead of myself and had to backup and do a little searching and review on these Zama carbs complments of Eddie and his informative posts.

This particular carb doesn't have an acc pump. It is a S32. Thanks for the pics Cut . I can see where the a pump would go by the casting marks on the carb body. It does have a part load, check valve which basically serves the same purpose and can cause the same problems. I did some vaccum testing on the part load jet and it won't hold vaccumm so the check valve is bad as far as I can tell.

I dug my ms200 rear handle carb out of the parts bin to see if I get the same results as that saw was also acting about the same way due to carb problems. No acc pump on this one either but it does have a part load,check valve set-up. This time I removed the limiter cap on the H screw to be able to clean out the jet and be able to seat the needle to vaccumm test for a bad check valve. This carb tested good so I know my equipment is working right to do these vaccumm tests on the carb.

Put the newly tested good carb on in place of the bad carb and the saw runs the way it should. Tommorow will tell me if this carb is good. The good thing about all this is I can put the right carb back on my rear handled 200 and use that carb for the T which is where it should be in the first place instead of on my rear handled 200 which makes me feel better as that is one of my favorite saws. Got my fingers crossed because so far I am not out any money to get this saw fixed.

As far as I can tell it is.

Al, I know your familiar with float carbs. It looks about the same and appears to work the same as an accelerator pump on a float carb for a gas engine. Step on the gas which activates a little lever attached to a plunger which shoots a small amount of gas from a chamber into a jet on the air side of the butterfly or throttle plate which gives the rest of the carb a chance to get caught up so the engine accelerates cleanly instead of stumbling on acceleration due to lack of fuel in the venturi.

Actually Tillotson had accerator pumps on diaphragm carb used on Harleys .Tilley model HD .

Evidently then these things either leak or get stuck on those little Zama's on the 200's .

Light bulb: Aha I see said the blind man as he picked up a hammer and saw .So this thing then is so the idle can be set rather lean so as not to cause a bunch of carbon at idle but the pump lets it throttle up without bogging .Well most 200's do black the inside of the muffler come to think about it .For a little saw they are rather fond of gasoline .

Back