Powerlines

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't disagree that having a high TIP is great. Its just how you get one. Throw it or climb it. I have a hard time throwing pwriod right now. I just didn't know if you guys did the same on removals. Personally, I'd climb, build, build my TIP/ speedline anchor and repel.

There is another question for yall. How do you tension your speed line. Winch, pulleys, or other means.

Josh, Every job/tree is different and has it's own particular challenges.

height, landing zone, the infinite number of possible characteristics of the tree itself, hazards, just to name a few.

Each characteristic of each job can change the way a worker approaches the challenge.

I'm not picking on you.;) But some of your questions are like asking - "what wrench do you use on a nut?" the answer usually depends on the experience of the mechanic, what tools he has in his box, what sized/type the nut is, how much force can/needs to be applied, room for movement, etc.

Each of us has expanded our knowledge and toolbox over the years to find what suits our particular situation and comfort. those who deal with larger trees or more conifers will naturally have a slightly different approach they picture when doing a "normal" tree than someone who regularly deals with smaller hardwoods. Same goes for differences in approaching urban or rural type jobs.

What I'm saying is there is no one best way to do accomplish all jobs. It is the subtle differences in each job and surmounting the challenge of them in a timely fashion that keeps tree work interesting ,for most, I believe.

Just my 2 cents on why you might get what seem to be conflicting/different answers when you ask general questions where the specifics of the job may dictate the answer you receive.:)

Climbing to set your TIP is worthwhile when under the pressure of work as a new climber. Getting to be good with a throwline outside of the pressure of production will help take the pressure out of production. A relatively easy maple the other day, 50' hand throw for a climbline, 45' hand throw for a rigging line/ speed line. Start rigging at 20'. When I got higher, I adjusted my rigging point. When I topped the trunk I was using for a TIP, I adjusted my TIP.

So when you're on your way to your TIP, and don't have a climbing system in place, what will you do when the S*&t hits the fan, like a bee hive? Install a life support system while panicking? You can't spur down is you're using Alternating Lanyard Technique, hopscotching through the branches with one or two lanyards. If you're using a climbing line as one of your connections, you're okay.

Fiddler, I'm pickin' up what you're layin' down. I guess I was trying to get a wide array of opinions and experiences. Picking the brains of the treefolk :D

I'd hate to run into bees on a job. But I'm sure it will happen one day.

Nothing wrong with generalization if taken for what it is...

I've run into a lot more squirrels and coons in the trees the last few years then I have stinging insects.

Wow. I realize how lucky I was doing all that work. It's a miracle I'm alive. (Awkward laugh). I'm glad asked before I continued to press my luck.

Dang, Fiddler...that's bad stuff. Their scene size-up was faulty...easy to see why. Electricity is invisible most of the time.

I agree. Scene safety numro uno. Althiugh sometimes you get caught in the moment. Thats what is scary. How those big important things can be so easily missed. I'd say thats important in tree work as well.

So I was bored at work drew up a diagram of my yard trees so y'all can see it better. Sorry for the crappy artwork. Tree number 2 is the one i climbed and work on. It looks the most dumb of me to be on but it was the smallest. Trees 3 and 4 have branches over my power drop and the neighbors'. I was thinking, what I had my service drop disconnected limbed all the limbs I could get then layed trees 3 and 4 in the front yard. Leaving limbs on the neighbors' side. Or would that make it the back side to heavy?

My only other option would be to hope that the county can take care of them. I can't afford to spend the money to have it done.

The thing in the bottom right corner is another rather large tree hanging over my bedroom. 20150521_202446.jpg

You shouldn't have to do anything to the trees along the primary electrical lines. That is the electrical company's deal. You are likely responsible for arranging to have your service line maintained clear of branches, as would your neighbor.

Mr popper gets top marks for correct use of the possessive apostrophe!
Neighbors' well done sir!

Total derail here but that's one thing we are really good at :)

My name is Josh. Nice to meet everyone.:)

Do you mean what type of work do I want? In that case, I want to do big tree work. Removals or pruning. I still need to learn the art of pruning but that's beside the point.
I know there are parts of the job that are less desirable but hey, nearly all of it is outdoor work which is what I'm built for. I don't just want to cut down every tree I can. I would much rather inprove the life and health of a tree. That's the part I still need to learn. I love the thrill of working up high. For some reason the struggle it is, is calming. I want to work with a team. Not just co workers.

I hope that answer was the type of answer you were looking for. If not I can keep talking. :D

Josh, tree work sounds like it will suit the needs and desires you mention quite well. ‘Team’ is how I have always thought good, moving on tree work is best accomplished. For one thing we so often put our safety in the hands of our work mates and they in ours.

The reason I asked about what you wanted in the way of work is because if you can state it as clearly as you have you are already far ahead in the game. What I am thinking of is that a lot of people would mistakenly take a job, any job, they could get in the field. Not every job will put you working on “big” trees. Also not every company cares about “team.” In anything you have to know WHAT YOU WANT to ever have a decent chance of getting it.

So take the concepts of big trees, and team, and any other elements that you can fit onto a 3X5 card and think of who you would ideally like to work for. Where can you learn and experience what you most want to? I realize this may take some research and some thinking and some talking it out with others.

Another reason I think it is important to know where you would most like to learn and grow is because I believe that you can get a job at just about any place of your choosing. And if you have not decided what your ideal would be you may not even pursue that work place as an option.

After your ideal workplace is in your sights it will be a matter of how to get that position. All doable in my opinion, even if it were one of the first two companies you contacted and they told you no at first.

Ideally, I'd be working for myself. Running my own crew. And no matter how much I try to talk myself into it, starting on my own right is not the best way. I hate saying that "out loud" but I know it is true. Part of me thinks I have educated myself well enough to be able to teach a ground man what to do, and how to do rigging and how to effectly do jobs. But I know experience is priceless. It just seems like no one wants to train the competition. Which is understandable. I have honestly been lazy this past week and not called anyone about a job. After three turn downs, its kinda rough. Especially when there aren't many services locally.

I would love to just get my insurance set up, print off some buisness cards and start advertising. Getting a job here and there while still working my full time job and slowly building a clientele and gaining equipment. Then eventually getting to the point where I can switch to full time tree work and part time my current job.

I feel like I shouldn't do that though. It all works in my head lol.

Back