Power Pruner Harness

Cool, now ive seen it. Carl tod me about it and I wanted more info..

Now Ive read your comments (sept AL's) I fear id be laughed off the site if I was caught on camera wearing it..lol..

Other than that I doubt id use anything in the bucket, it looks like he cant turn very well and control the bucket at the same time.

I have hooks to place my HT131 on, or stand it up beside me. I cut high then follow it down till im hanging down leaning out of the bucket, then up to the next target..

and YES, it seems to bother some but i use it at least 6 hours a day. 020 1 hour 46 and 88 both an hour a day, now with a 14' bar and regular chain, it's awesome!

I'd like to see a demo of how you put it on / take it off ?!? Can you feature me chasing my left shoulder ?
And coaxing hangers out with that thing ? Gawd. Fuggetaboutit.

Those pruners do get heavy if you have to run one for like Butch said an extended period of time. I can see it being useful in some situtations provided you can manuver the pruner around the same way if you didn't have one of those things on.

It does look a little hoaky. I wouldn't spend money on it. If the pruner gets to be too much I put it down and take a short break or do something else for a short time like move the branches closer to the chipper.

I just got my HT 101 off the diabled list. Finally after a new module, carb and clutch. I put a 16 in bar on it that has smaller tip than the standard issue 12 or 14 inchers. Kind of anxious to see how that smaller tip works in tight crotches and nipping at small little limbs. I think this bar was discussed earlier somewhere that it was the safety bar with the green dot. I forgot which saw it came off of originally but had been saving it in case I ever wanted to do some carving with it. That isn't going to happen in the forseeable future.:lol:

My HT101 has seen limited use so far, still has the original chain on it. At some point when I tire of the crappy PMN chain I'm going to get one of those lightweight bars for it like what I have on my 200Ts. Any weight savings at the end of an 11 foot pole will be noticable.

I also bumped my sprocket up from a six to a seven to see if I could get some extra chain speed out of it. I always thought the 101 was kind of doggy on speed to the 75 I have. The 101 is a torguer machine.

Oh, Brian if and when you do change bars and a sprocket if need be. Pay attention to how that clutch comes apart. It is a friction clutch and is different than your typical chainsaw clutches. I didn't pay that much attention when I had to take mine apart. Looked simple enough. It took me a couple tries to get it back together right. Put it together wrong and the darn chain won't cut under load. The chain will just sit on top of the limb and not cut anything while the engine running wide open. It is best to mark those disks so they go back together the right way.

Oh yeah, those spring disks? I had one apart before and ended up having to take it to the dealer to get it working again. He showed me how they went back together. It's designed to protect the shaft from damage I believe. It should slip before it twists or strips the driveshaft.

How's it work with the 7 pin?

I wont use ANY harness with a power (saw) pruner.. Never found one that works.. Better just to muscle it up and make the cuts.. However I see where the principle would work in the pic.. Takes the heavy out of the reach ... But I doubt I would use it ... Looks pretty awkward.... and lets be real ... would it really have the reach you have with out a harness all together..

You can always take a ladies high heel shoe, insert the heel into your waist band of your pants, and set the base of the pole into the shoe. Sorta works actually. But not with the engine powered poles.

Brian, I did get a chance to try out mine with the 7 tooth. It does speed it up but not all that much.

I did like that 16 in. small nose bar on it. I might have to go back to a 6 tooth. With the little extra chain speed and that longer bar and that Picco Mini chain seem to make the bar not as stiff feeling as it was with the smaller bar. Seemed to be a little shaky doing what little cutting I did do with it today. I just can't help but think how it would do with the regular Picco chain and a bar to match.

I'm just glad the darn thing is fixed. That 101 has been a headache getting it back running right. Mostly from parts being on back order from Sthil.:what:

I need to give it a good workout in different types of wood to see if there is a difference in the sprockets. What I was cutting today was very softwood, Popular, and didn't do all that much. Was working on a removal and we use those pruners for the big pieces that come down tips first so they can be skinnied up a little to help guide the butts toward the chipper, easier and safer than operating a chainsaw above shoulder height

I'm thinking a 7 pin with a shorter (12") lightweight bar and I can hopefully run the 50 gauge chain instead of the 43 gauge narrow kerf crap.

FWIW I run 50 ga on a 6 pin and 12 inch bar on my Echos . They get with it pretty well. Power Pruner chains last nigh onto forever since they only run in clean wood normally and seldom get dinged up.

So will you get one?

Not now, since I haven't used my PP in a bit over a year. If I get a job with alot of PP work, hells yes.

You can turn it to rotate the bar any which-a-way you want. I can hold the throttle grip and hold it extended as far out as I can reach for extended times.

The length of the tether is adjustable as well.

So yeah, if I get a job where I'll be using the PP much, I'll have mine on the way.

For working above your head, I don't see how it can get in the way. The tether can be long so there's plenty of ROM, and there is nothing preventing you from lifting it higher than the tether is holding it. The tether doesn't hold so much that it's cumbersome to push it lower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can't imagine not having a power pruner. I mean, I don't have one but that is only because everyone I work for has one, and they get used ALL the time. They're the bee's knees for catching the lower limbs on a live oak trim, or for getting rid of that pesky limb snagging on something when roping or craning

i had a job a few weeks back of crown lifting trees around some paddocks.....all power pruner work at full extension for 4 days.....probably covered 2 km. i wouldnt have turned one of these harnesses away for that job, thats for sure.

I thought I was going to get a storm job to use it on (not much though) cutting the rest of the limbs down so we could fish them off.

Doesn't look like that job is panning out, although it wasn't done the last time I drove by there.

Back