Pole Saw

Gypo

TreeHouser
I have tried to use the search function, without any luck, so please forgive me and my lack of computer skills.

I am new to pole saws, and would like some input. Been thinking a pole saw would be a nice addition to my gear.

Been thinking about 3 6' poles, with a Marvin pole saw head, to fit a Mondo blade, as I've heard it's the go-to pole saw blade? Think I want a head with the hook so I can hang it in tree, and use it to move ropes around in tree.

Please educate me on what I should buy and why. Thanks.

Silky Hayuchi spelling may be off but you won't regret it for a go to pole saw.
Edit is for reach, function and durability

Hayauchi is what I've been using for a couple now. I find them weak in the extensions. I don't much like a polesaw but they're handy the odd time.

..have not tried the Japanese ones like Joel...they look great in the catalogs....I have slowly built up my Pole gear, mostly Six foot Yellow Marvins, separate Lopper and Saw Heads ...also a four foot hook on wooden pole that has matching ferrule. Also have two Yeller Three Footers as well which mostly stay with the Big Shot...when I started collecting those Silkys weren't around yet so I am old school....pass on all cheap poles orange and green I say

It is amazing how often the hook comes out on extension to save the friggin' day when things didn't go exact to the plan...the hook has saved me many penalty climbs...

I was just using a Mondo blade yesterday thinking it is almost hard to believe how well they cut.

We have orange poles... Marvin maybe... And a wood one. The wood one gets used the most in trees. It's lighter and we just bomb it out when we are done with it. I don't like bombing the fiberglass poles so we usually lower them down or take all the sections apart and toss the parts on some brush.

We used to use the Mondo blades all the time. I always thought they were decent blades. We have switched to 13" ARS with the hook on the nose of the blade. I think they cut similar to silky but are cheaper.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

ARS or Silky blades seem to hold up pretty long, depends on how you treat them I guess. I use wooden poles. 16'. I do have 2- 6' wooden poles as well and they all attach to each other if need be but I prefer not to use sectionals if I don't have to.

I've got the orange marvin poles with various saws/pruner tops for them. I like them and they seem to be durable. Going on 5 years now. I've had the silky zubat pole saw and it broke down realitively fast. The aluminum is soft around the pin holes where the extensions click together. If they beef that part up, I would consider buying one again. Great for in the tree due to lightness.

Anyone use this pole http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=214&item=216. I may pick one up this spring to try out.

Basswood poles are the shiznit in a tree, the fiberglass are good for two sections and three in a pinch( they just get too wobbly), silky stuff is good from the ground at maximum extension but it gets heavy after a while. I use the mondo blade on the glass poles easy to sharpen and cheap and ARS blades on the basswood.

Butch I consider penalty climbs going up to fix something that I did but did not plan on.... say , for a stuck throw weight or branches....guess I am hard on myself at work.

Pretty much Marvin and mondo here as well... tough and had them for quite a while.
Hook has saved my butt a few times as well. Great for pulling out hangers. It is about time for another set. I want to have a hook head just for Rob to use to pull stuff off lower limbs as I prune.. That way he can get more done while I have a set up top.

Silky Hayauchi...I can and do use it in a tree...so anyone who says it is too heavy needs a slap! 8)
Yes, it can be a bit wobbly on full extension but allow for that and the quality of the blade makes up for it.
I like that you can choose which section to extend so you can adjust where the weight sits, butt heavy or tip heavy. I've had two of these saws and on my first one the one of the button holes deformed but Silky sent me a replacement section for free. Since then I have had no problems with buttons or the snaps.
The blade lasts for a LONG time.

I love my Hayauchi but don't like letting anyone else use it... beware of denting the extensions or it will jam up. They do make the Hayate which is quite a bit stouter at full length. They are both awesome and worth the price! Downsides of the Silky: weight, expensive brittle (and awesome) blades, and dangerous around electrical hazards, so I keep a few 8' Jamesons around with cheapo saw blades, hook, bigshot. I feel like a circus act trying to get anything done with more than 16' of fiberglass. I agree that those long wooden poles can't be beat for climbing, if you can get some straight ones, just bombing them out of the tree is so nice. I've worked for crews that let me drop the fiberglass ones out of the tree and they would stand beneath me and catch them, but not gonna happen on my job.........

"Brittle blades' on the Silky???

I swear we've about bent those suckers in half and they always bounce back, never snapped one, ever.
And I'll say it again, if the smallest lightest member of the House can use a Hayauchi in a tree, you boys need to step up your game 8)

802 climber is in Vermont. Bermy you are in warmer climates. Maybe it is the cold weather that causes the Silky blades to break easier? I hate pole saws on Fiberglass. Will likely get the Hayatche one of these days. For now I use pruner head or power pruner if I have to.

I use all my silkys in Tasmania in winter as well...granted not quite as cold as Vermont, but cold enough...-2,-5 celsius on a bad day.
In the end, choice is up to the individual for the conditions they face and the preferences they have 8)

Back