performance exhaust

• Thread starter Greenhorn
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 9K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right on! Thats look good, will you make me one?:D

if you can cut a hole. braze and tune your saw. then you can do it. thats was my first time. and it is not hard to do.

Looks real good! Just like the one on my 361 that I bought off Gary the Gasman, also known as sasquatch man!

The Huskys are even easier. Many of them have a bracket across the front of the muffler to hold it in place. You can just cut a hole in the bracket and a matching hole in the muffler, then sandwich a screen in between. It even looks 'factory' to someone who may not be familiar with Huskys.

OK, I confess to not being a saw guy... I like saws and 2 stroke engines but I don't like to work on them cuz I screw'em up.
...so I never touched my 200T even though I knew about the screen thing. I couldn't figure out where the hell the screen was.

It hadn't been running so great lately so I took it to the shop. They have an old timer Stihl mech there who'd never seen a climbing saw, but he homed right in on the exhaust after I ran it at full throttle for him... took the whole damn muffler out and apart before he found the screen... and how simple it would've been to just turn that one screw and pull it out.
That saw kicks ass now that the screen is out so I'm looking to get a modded muffler for the 440. Would the 460 dual port be the way to go? Wanna make me a deal Greenhorn?

i wont to do my 346xp an my 200 t. but i need info on size an stuff before i do it.

On the 200T, simply pulling out the screen insert works quite well. I've pulled a couple mufflers apart and wallered them out further but it didn't make much difference except for noise.

I don't have a 346 here at the house to show you but here's a picture of a 372. I actually just replaced this screen last week because the old one finally disintegrated. This will give you an idea on how to make the hole in the muffler and bracket. This one is rather big and the bracket is trimmed kind of thin around the edges. You don't have to go this big. Leave a quarter inch at the top and bottom in order to sandwich the screen.

thanks skwerl. just need to find some bigger dogs for that 361 now?

That little pipe my look cool but it wont make it preform any better than just an enlarged hole .Whatever floats your boat though .;)

What Al said is true, but and this is just my opinion for what it is worth, that for a 361, 46's and 66's it is the smarter way to mod a muffler or any other Sthil with those side exiting up in the corner mufflers by the chainbrake. Enlarging the holes lets more heat out in this area that could over time weaken or break a chainbrake handle. I had this happen to a stock 66. I blame the prolem on the exhaust being so close to the chainbrake handle. I know there is a baffle or sheild over the exhaust outlet to direct the exhaust forward put to me it is kind of a lame design to me anyway.

Now I just recently did muffler modded our 361 not because I wanted more performance but because it just seemed to be running way too lean for my taste and it has always been one of those fussy starting saws even after it got warmed up.

When it finally needed a bar, chain and sprocket. I finally got into the muffler. I didn't have time for cutting and brazing in a second exhaust port due to time limitations and the muffler didn't look like it could take the heat from brazing. I modded the muffler the hard way by uncrimping the two halves. Took out some of the baffling,for a little better flow and some other modifications that I have forgotten and enlarged the exhaust hole against my better judgement but wanted to see if a muffler mod would improve the starting problem and get the rpm's down a little at WOT.

After the muffler mod I took the limiters off the carb. Very pleased with the results. The 361 is now much easier to start even better after it gets warmed and sits awhile. 1 pull gets it going after it warms up and the saw is running where I like it to hear it with a little more power but is not overly loud but still has that throaty muffler modded sound to it.

If and when I might have to do this muffler mod over. I would do it the same way as Gary and Hug did it but not quite so large on the diameter of the second exhaust port just a tad smaller on the ID again this is just my opinion.

thanks skwerl. just need to find some bigger dogs for that 361 now?

Here is the part number for a dual dog kit that has a ceramic roller at the bottom. The dogs aren't huge, but they are bigger than the wimpy stock single dog.

Stihl part# 1135 650 7750

Ask Squishy how it works... they are on the saw I sold him.

Gary

Attachments

• MS361 dogs part number.jpg
    MS361 dogs part number.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 11
Here is the part number for a dual dog kit that has a ceramic roller at the bottom. The dogs aren't huge, but they are bigger than the wimpy stock single dog.

Stihl part# 1135 650 7750

Ask Squishy how it works... they are on the saw I sold him.

Gary

thanks for that. i can order them now 8)

I'll chime in too, I am much happier with the paired dogs Gary turned me on to, beats the stock dog by a mile.

I had them before I bought my 361. Regretfully I gave them to my buddy because the saw wasn't in my budget. They are definitely a nice addition, and my saw shop actually ordered them for me the other day.

I guess this is probably the best place for this question, rather than another "muffler" thread.

Does the 036 respond as well to a muffler mod as the 361? I hogged out the exhaust hole a little on mine. I drilled a 1/2" hole next to the stock, which is probably around 3/8", and cleaned up in between them. The exhaust port on the cylinder is .75"x1.125", should I go bigger, say the 85% Al suggested earlier? My saw shop wouldn't set the RPMs for me, but did put the tach on it, it's now15,500. I've got a TT20K tach on the way. Thanks for any input.

I put 066 dogs on my 036. The outboard one sticks out a little, I think if I redrill it, it will be even with the other. Way better looking than the stock dual dogs, which my dealer said wasn't available when I bough the 036. :what:

here is my job. loud and cool:O

Attachments

• 066 muf mod.jpg
    066 muf mod.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 50
here is my job. loud and cool:O
The question is ,how does it work ? Looks like a good way to blow sawdust all over the place besides cook the operator .

A pressure can is a type of check valve in reality not just a muffler .Loudness has little to do with how a saw preforms .If that were the case I have an 87 cc McCulloch that will wake the dead and it has an unaltered baffled muffler .

The problem is if you get too large of a exit hole you stand the chance of over riding the carb .In other words creating such a negative pull on the exhaust that it sucks out more fuel than the carb can produce thus causing the possibility of a lean seizure .

If good old Zander were still on here he could testify to that very fact ,I warned him but he didn't listen ,cooked an 088 .A sad day that was ,I'm sure .:(

no probs so far its bin used hard fer about 6 mons. its ben re jetted and ported with a big bore

Good heavens take that thing down before Wojo sees it .Don't give him any ideas .Good heavens he will be sticking 6 little pipes out like a porcupine .:)

Back