Oriental pine tree help- browning and dying?

NBricker

Prospect
Hi everybody- could use some advice ... So I've got this pine tree next to a garden pond in my yard. Just moved into the house and trying to keep everything thriving and green. Not sure exactly on the care of the tree- looks like someone did some pruning of limbs without treating the cuts- and there's a "decorative" but I'm thinking likely very invasive vine growing on it as well from the base. I removed much of the vine from the trunk as it was beginning to spread into the canopy- the vines really had a hold on the trunk, very difficult to remove as it had a thousand little "roots" that were really well attached. I'm hoping that removing the vine will help it spring back to life- if that was the case...

Anyway my question is- what can I do to bring this tree back to full health? And what kind is it exactly?

Also the vine- do I need to make sure it stays off the tree? It looks nice along the edge of the pond but I don't want it to effect my trees health- and if it needs to be eradicated what should I do?

Here's a few photos. A couple of the tree- partially in process of removing the vine, after removing, and the vine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373436656.088799.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373436673.535937.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373436691.002838.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373436705.518486.jpg

Welcome to the TreeHouse! What's your first name? Mine is Butch. I don't know what to say about the pine other than it's good you killed the vines. Not being able to remove them is just an aesthetic thing. I suppose you could fertilize it, but I'm not sure what type is best for a pine. Someone here should pipe up, soon.

Again, welcome! :beer:

Welcome NB!

I have no idea on the exact type of ivy that is or what kind of pine you have there. I do have some questions though. :)

On identifying the pine: Where are you located? Can you count how many needles there are in each cluster of pine needles? Are there any cones around on the ground that you could snap a picture of with maybe a dollar bill next to it to get an idea of the scale?

You said you just moved in, any idea if any nearby trees that could have been shading it were removed recently?

If you really like it and want to rule out disease you can try to find a local testing lab and send them a sample. We're lucky to have the UMass lab out here: http://ag.umass.edu/plant-problem-diagnostics/tree-shrub-diagnostics

We only use them 2-3 times a year but it's a great resource. It's pretty likely you have something similar in your area.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I am interested. Let us know how you make out and welcome to the house!

Have you looked for evidence of Pine beetle infestation? Is it in your area? Our Pines are getting totally wrecked, and they surely are oriental. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Yeah someone referred to the tree as "oriental" or "ornamental" so something like that. I'm assuming the bonsai tree similarity was the reason. If that was a laugh I assure you I know very little about trees. Ha

Anyway- there are no pine comes- and I'd have to check the needle clusters if needed.

That last response telling me to start over as vines have ruined the tree- is that true? Just want to know what to expect or of the tree can be brought back to life or not

Yes vine is Hedera helix, english ivy. Keep it 6" from tree trunks.

Recommend *carefully* removing dead needles and twigs so you can see what you have. The previous pruning looks excessive, and it may look 'wrecked', but to give it a chance, you want sunlight hitting green needles.

Back