OM don't even ask to borrow my chipper!

I may have missed something somewhere but from the drift of this thread it sounds like Darin new chipper went down Big Time.

Did the engine blow???

If it did this is scary as I'm looking into updating our chipper, haven't found anything I am happy with yet for what I think we can afford.

What engine is in your chipper Darin, is it a Deere ??? Most of the newer larger Morbarks seem to have those in them .

I am looking at maybe getting a Vermeer 1400 with a Cat engine. I don't know if it is a true Cat engine or one of those Cat-Perkins hybrids that I was reading about somewhere. A true Cat is ok but those Cat Perkins have been trouble.

The 1400 is junk. They have had nothing but problems with them. Everyone I know who has bought on has had alot of downtime, anf the machine is completely wore out at 1500hrs. Bearing failures, drum failures, stree cracks.

Ugggg, chrap. Be carefull.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OM's chipper had a Cat engine and judging by the size, it may very well be the Perkins/Cat engine. It had an oil pump failure if I remember right. I've had pretty good luck with Perkins engines. I had one that I salvaged from a swather and installed it on a deep well pump and it had about 6,000 hrs on it when I got it. It went to a little over 16,000 hrs before it also had a oil pump failure.

Thanks for the info Jred. The only reason I am looking at them is because our city has one and as we were taking down this very large tree I got the chance to help the city guys feed some big long limbs. The Vermeer was quite smooth at taking that material in with those vertical feed wheels compared to horizontial wheels we have on our Morbark.

I have seen the Vermeers demoed at the dealers open house, personally I didn't like what I heard. They seem to chip hard compared to Morbark.

My thing is we have to a winch because now that we have a GRCS we taking bigger chunks out of the trees. The Vermeer I was looking at was set -up with one. I think I will stick with Morbark, our dealer had a nice 13 they were rebuilding and they have a winch they can add to it. All I have to do is come up with more buckos. :roll:

Steve, That is what I have always heard about a true Perkins, good engines that no one ever had anything bad to say about them. I personally have never had one but the few people I know that have them in their tractors have always liked them.

I am not a Perkins expert but hasn't Cat made those engines for years ???

Darin, that has really got to suck, buy a brand new machine and have an engine go down the tubes like that. I hope all this works out for you. I have been down this same road a few times but with no warranty or dealer support. It hurts big time. Not getting work done as fast plus having to shell out money and the lost time and job cancellations.

Mine has an 86 HP Cat Diesel Engine. From what I've heard it is probably a Perkins that has been renamed.

I love my my Morbark Twister 12 and would very definitely recommend it.

cat is perkins. Perkins block, cat head. mine works great. How soon is a murphy switch supposed to shut those things down....anyone know?

My cousin told me that the deal is that Cat didn't make any motors that small and thought it would be more economical to partner up with someone who already did rather than re-invent the wheel so to speak.

Al. Right. There is a fruitless version of Paper Mulberry that is pretty punk but common Fruitless Mulberry is Mora Alba. (White Mulberry,) Both white and Red Mulberries have very dense wood-On a par with White Oak. Osage is tad denser.

Darin, you can borrow my chipper anytime.

I got to tell you to demand a new motor, not a rebuild.

I bought a leftover 1990 Morbark 290 brand new in '91 it had a 80 HP (or so) Hercules Diesel in it. At 20 hrs it blew up, the dealer BS'd me into rebuilding it, it blew up at 50 hrs. Same thing, a crankshaft failure.

They wanted to rebuild it again, I said no. They said they could not put in a new motor. I took the block to a machine shop and they confirmed what I had already thought, the main journals were out of whack.

Armed with the info, my dealer finally confessed that they knew the Hercules were a problem and Morbark had discontinued them. They said they were pressured by the manufacturer's rep to only fix the problem.

In very short order, my chipper showed up with a new Cummins on it, new sheet metal and all. They took an engine/PTO assembly off of a new chipper that was in stock.

Demand a new engine, you paid for a new chipper and you should have a new chipper.

I guess you can borrow my chipper now OM since you said it rocks. Pretty safe since you are 600 + miles away. Truthfully I've never used any other chipper so I can't compare I just know that mine will work with sharp blades and that with dull blades, it blows big time.

The 1400 is junk. They have had nothing but problems with them. Everyone I know who has bought on has had alot of downtime, anf the machine is completely wore out at 1500hrs. Bearing failures, drum failures, stree cracks.

Ugggg, chrap. Be carefull.
Early on this may have been a fact. But the place I used to work has no less than 5 of them. One had a few issues with a switch. But there have been no bearing problems with any of them. This includes 2 that where taken to St. Louis with 800 the other with over 1000hrs. For 2 1/2 weeks they where both run from sun up until sundown. Only shut off for lunch break.

They throw beautiful chips & eat any thing quickly with in their range thats loaded into them....
But I have heard from plenty like yourself that dont care for them.

Back