old catalogs- Sherrill, Bailey's, CCD, Wesspur, Madsen's plus TCI mags

I don't get any of those catalogs anymore, but I always liked the extras in them. I'm cleaning house too, but I don't have anything anybody would want.:lol:

Wow. I don't hold on to those things any longer than it take to browse through them and then pass them on. That's quite a collection, Brian. Not quite like Play Boy, but good.

I am usually working out of old catalogs, sometimes a couple years old. I have to pretty much hound Bailey's to get a current one, ask a number of times, even though I have been a good customer over the years and a number of the folks there know me. They won't send them out automatic, or include a current one in a shipment. Sam tells me that their foreign business amounts to only 1% of their sales, so I guess they can't be much bothered to try and encourage it. Still, for myself as an old customer, to tell the truth it is a bit disappointing. Other companies will at least often include them in a shipment. I wonder if Stig gets catalogs from Bailey's, the amount that he purchases?

I saved the old sherril catalogues too cuz at the times of issue, they were one of a kind, and full of tips you could find virtually nowhere else. A little embarrassing perhaps to learn so much about your trade from a catalog lol. Back then, I sometimes called after hours to order and Tobe himself would answer as he was still at work like most hardworking business owners. And they had Johnny, an awesome, knowledgable phone rep.

Nowadays, most of the other tree supply cos. have caught up and imitated the Sherrill catalog model.

Why are ya cleaning out a bunch of tree related stuff, just cuz?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, you get it. I also found lots of value in those early Sherrill catalog illustrations and saved them for just that reason. But the stack has been collecting dust under the coffee table for too many years without ever being looked at so it's time to start cleaning up a little. Lots of good stuff in the TCI magazines as well but I've never been one to go back and reread old magazines. I figured there might be somebody who missed out on those gems and might want to take a look in exchange for the cost of shipping.

I cut all those training tips out and pasted them on the opening pages of Donald Blair's book, they came in handy over the years.

I "get it" too. :drink:

I was just going through the old stack of ISA "Journal of Arboriculture" from mid 80s to mid 90s last night... lots of interesting articles.
One was "Estimating Radiation Received By A Person Under Different Species Of Shade Trees" by Brown and Gillespie
Those old journals can help you get to sleep at night!

Solar radiation, I'd bet.

I suspect every living thing has some amount of radioactive material in it, if ever so slight. That stuff is floating around in the air. Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Chernobyl, and any other above ground nuclear testing or accidents.

I got two milk crates of rock climbing magazines from an old roommate. I learned a lot from the Tech Tips sections, much like the catalog tips. Interesting to see the history and evolution of things as well. I suspect that while the catalogs are outdated, there would be interesting for a newbie. Maybe someone in the House knows someone that would benefit.

This is a long shot, but if anyone out there has all 24 issues [or even a few] for 1988 and 1989 of Chainsaw Age magazines please PM me or let me know. You don't have to give them away, I'll pay top dollar for those issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry about that, they went out in yesterday's trash pickup. I saved the oldest Sherrill catalogs and everything else got tossed.

um, I hope you mean yesterdays recycling....;)

Back