Old Black Locust - Climbing Trust?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was breaking some of the wood down today, and got to the last piece. It was in pretty rough shape. This is the vertical portion(1.1') before it made a 90° bend towards the house. Everything held of course, but I was wondering what your all's opinion is on the condition as it relates to climbing. The hole goes all the way through, and you can see the punky parts throughout. The knife is 8.5"(21.6cm) tip to pommel...

IMG_20200702_151838.jpg

That TIP might be a problem. I'm gonna be one of the highest things out there. That's something I'll have to look more closely at. I need to scout it's brothers a little better, and maybe set a line while I'm in the tree, so I can reach a high crotch.

No, I haven't. I'd prefer not to, but it's an interesting option compared to calling in a treeco, and one I didn't consider. I'll have to mull that over a bit. I'm not really into this to save money. I consider that a side benefit, but I'm not out to kill myself with a tree either. A lift would give me some of the work, save a bit of money, and not kill myself with a tree. I'm thinking I can get it by climbing, but I need to analyze available tieins, and the drop zone. I've got some time. I'll probably be doing it in October, or somewhere around then.

I'll get there. Fall time is when it's reasonable to be outside. I only did the limb now to keep insurance happy. Gave me a good look at the tree though, so I'm happier about removing it. I might have otherwise put it off if I didn't see the condition up close.

Just look closely the other limbs and trees, because if this one is in a such bad condition, they most likely could present the same sort of defects too.
Locust is tough, luckily, but at one point they can fall on their own by the decay. Or they can stay as is for years and years, even dead as a nail. It all depends of the fungi at play. The ones you got don't seem to be in the safe category.

Last edited:
Back