Oil Riggers

chris_girard

Treehouser
Though this has nothing to do with tree rigging, I still take my hat off to the guys who work the oil rigs, especially in the North Sea. Big storms and hard work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lfaBqMzJ9sc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's some more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cFFop_3e7Ko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting vids. Saw nary a shred of hard work being done. I'm guessing if you can lift 50 lbs, and you like working outside or at least can tolerate it while wearing state of the art protective clothing, are willing to be off shore and away from family, booze, and women for extended periods of time, willing to take the risk of a highly unlikely catastrophic mishap resulting in death, and willing to make mega bucks for such hardship, it is a fantastic job.

The engineering that it took to build those rigs there and do the drilling in that crazy ass environment is utterly mind boggling to me.

At least the oil field work I have been around is hard work Cory. Sure, you are not going to lift a length of drill stem manually, but there is work to do.

My experiences working with a work over crew and being in an oil field.

Ive never done nor seen oil field work. I compare everything to tree work which is generally non stop, balls to the wall, working as hard as possible yet not so hard that you cannot work the next day/week/year/decade. All for not a lot of money, in the long run.

I have no doubt branding etc 80 calfs is hard work, btw.

Well that was part of my point. You probably worked as hard or harder than a busy ground man, but he's gotta do it again tomorrow, presumably your calf work is done for awhile. Its all good.

On a Saturday? Outrageous!

Just kidding. Yep, not going to brand tommorow. Monday.

Then I could shovel to a drag auger, or pound fence posts, or start hauling bags of grass seed, or build locations for water tanks...........:P

We learn that lesson early on the fire line. If'n you kill yourself today you wont have anything left for tommorow. Watching a hot shot crew build hand line is something else. Then the bastards have to do it the next day, and the next day, and the next day........and like it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I take my hat off to the guys that are out there on the decks, slinging the rigging and working in the brutal weather. Don't get me wrong, I highly respect the drill operators as well, but they aren't out there in fighting the elements.

At this point I tip my hat to all gainfully employed people. From the trash man to the heart surgeon. Too many people just won't get out of bed.

Back