Ötzi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Idk, I think they have a bit of mysterious or different appeal. Heck you know tats are supposed to have some unknown to them, and those simple lines have that.

Have you or any other housers every done DIY tats, lil cutting and them rub charcoal?

I poked through my finger tip with a pencil in grade 6. Left two dots on either side of the wound. Still there to this day.

I did the same thing to the middle of the palm of my hand, putting up a pencil, under my 'lil desk.

I squealed, pulled back my hand with the pencil sticking straight up from the palm.

No one even really noticed, I pulled the pencil out, and went on wid my bidness...

I can still see the mark.

Languages change so fast that nothing spoken back then would be known today.

Butch, any chance of you fixing the title on this thread to Ötzi

I know it is stupid, but it bugs me every time I see it written without the umlaut.

Umlaut, there's a word you don't see every day. I agree, let's tighten up the OP spelling.

I've been on an Otzi binge lately, reading a lot and also watching some videos including some made by a very skilled guy, Shawn Woods, who recreated Otzi's dagger, arrows, and copper axe etc using only the original technology. It is wild to see the tools he created and their effectiveness. But they are delicate compared to our tools.

I think a lot of us tree guys and ranchers really love and appreciate our tools. I know I really do, I like to keep them in tip top shape and make them last for ages. Otzi probably had the same gear gene we have as he seemed pretty well equipped for his trek at 11,000' in the mountains (that is damn high, there is a lot of unknown as to why the heck he was so high up in the mountains- one can do a lot of mountain traveling and traversing without reaching that elevation).

So, at work yesterday I was thinking about him, thinking about how our modern materials, machines and tools relative to his, are like from another planet. I watched the crane lift with seemingly no effort, 2000lbs pieces of wood from down a steep hillside up into the level roadway where we can work easily on them with our chainsaws which cut like butter, while wearing our warm, well fitting clothes and boots etc, etc. For Otzi and his ilk to be out there equipped with only natural materials comprising his clothes and tools (except for the copper blade axe, which experts claim was a very recent and epic advancement of the time), well it is just mindblowingly hard core, and not even in a wow cool, fun way. More in kind of a grim way- survival boiled down to the strength, endurance and resilience in one's own body, and the intelligence, intuition, and spirit in one's heart and mind. A serious culture of survival of the fittest.

When we work or play outside, we have tools and gear with extremely well tuned fit and function. Five f'g thousand years ago, all they had was just a few steps above Naked and Afraid. But like FFZ says, its all relative, they probably thought in many ways they had it made.

Its fascinating to think how it was then and how insanely far we have progressed since then.

That is a very excellent post, Cory. You express things well. Especially this:

More in kind of a grim way- survival boiled down to the strength, endurance and resilience in one's own body, and the intelligence, intuition, and spirit in one's heart and mind. A serious culture of survival of the fittest.

Don't bs me, Jim.

Instead, go find something written in medieval English and see how much you understand.

We have lots of texts dating back to 1200 AD here. No way a normal Dane can read and understand them.
And that is just 800 years.

Besides, people travelled a lot back in Ötsi 's time. Travelling and mingling with other cultures make languages chance a lot faster.

How do I know they travelled a lot. Here goes:

The Egtved girl was found in 1921 when a bronce age grave was opened. Dendro cronology has dated the hollowed out oak tree used as a coffin to be felled in 1370-71 BC.

Of couse this makes her less old than our buddy Ötzi, but she is still old enough to use as an example.

Recent ( Very recent, as in this year) analyses of the strontium content in her teeth has shown her to be originally from Schwarzwald ( Black Forest) in southern Germany, close to the border of Schweiz, about 1200 km away..

Kinda ironic, because she has always been seen by nationalists to be the arcetypal aryan danish girl.
Lots of recreations have been made of her dress and countless young buxom blonde girls have been fotographed in them while clean cut danish young men heiled in the background.
Egtvedpigen_01.jpg

So don't bs me, Jim.:P

Our boy Otzi would have torn that up:lol:

Glad you dug it, Gary!

Yeah, as I was working Friday and thinking about Otzi, I was reflecting on the fact that he had no liquid fuels for power, no machines, nothing to magnify his own strength.

Thanks for the correction, MB

That's one thing I haven't seen anything at all on.

They have reproduced his voice to a degree (using the dimensions of his larynx etc), but it's not worth posting, it sounds like 5 seconds of burps.

MB, your keyboard has an umlaut for the O in Otzi??!!

He's showing off, making his keyboard do tricks n chit.

Mad skillz!

Back