Nicks Scottish Competition :evil:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i'm going to go to yachting people i can imagine they are less concerned with my lack of insurance for them yet.

anyway, i have 4 splices to do

bye

Jamie

Competition? No way! Another person keeping the art alive.

You're right...the site is basic, but it shows people what they need to see. An example of your wares and a way to get a hold of you.

Time for the tiny splice picture!!!

love
nick

You know guys, I've looked at the instructions and I can't figure it out. I think I need a video to at least learn the basics.

not a complaint but an observation.. is 'dynemma ' supposed to say 'Dyneema'?
pardon me if I am wrong and good luck in your venture Jamie!

steve, buy the toss video from sherrill, it has the 16 strand splice on it if thats what you use

I'd rather have critisism here than off other people. over here most folk don't know what dyneema is, they call it spectra, despite the cords being made with dyneema....weird

Jamie

Over here all the rope comes in branded as Dyneema but everyone calls it spectra. Really dont know why???? D(yneema)12 gets called spectra. I know its a minor point but, unnnnggghhh

Jamie

My understanding is the trade name in Europe is Dyneema and the trade name in the US is Spectra. The technology in both is UHMWPE.

I always called it Spectra because I first heard about it for making superlight slalom K1s. Kevlar/Spectra laminates were THE ticket in the early 90s.

Thats my knowledge as well (not the skiing bit though) thats why i'm confused why europeans call it spectra when its sold as dyneema.

Jamie

Good luck Jamie, how would you go about getting insurance for splicing ropes used in our industry?

It's still a mystery to me, would it be PI insurance and would you need some kind of qualification?

Thats my knowledge as well (not the skiing bit though) thats why i'm confused why europeans call it spectra when its sold as dyneema.

Jamie

Er, umm... technically... a slalom K1 is a whitewater kayak. They are fun on a big snowy downhill though. :)

...and go figure about them screwy Europeans! They're most contrary, confounding, intractable people I've ever met.

Back