New tool , Lewis Winch

Altissimus

TreeHouser
Pretty handy, still trying to spool carefully as the last twenty feet are really a good way to get bound up or catch cable between the flange on the spool and housing. Have shortened the cable....I think I have to slow down a little...have skidded some good size logs and brush hitches. Just have to take your time, set up good line angles...though expensive. Well worth the cost IMO

Cool.

I'm going chainsaw capstan brush winching power tomorrow. A good trial run. I've not used it much at all since getting it, due in part to some resistance from the brush dragger of all people. Tomorrow's job will hopefully pay for a chunk of the capstan, as a good sized maple is coming down that has a long drag.

I wonder if a garbage can would be a fine skidding cone for lawns. I think I'll give it a go tomorrow. Have you figured out tricks? Hopefully we will have a high rigging point to redirect through. I think Jerry B or Reg showed a sweet brush skid where he pulled the pile all the way up the high set block in tree A, then tensioned a drift line rigged high in tree B, the slacked the winch line, moving a lot uphill with technique instead of backs.

I have a Lewis that I have use a few times and I tellyawhat it is nice to have in a tigh/steep spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Used the winch quite a bit , damn thing kept jumping the spool and getting wound into the spindle. Pissed me off serious. Took it to my mechanic , when he pulled the chain guard and turned it over three of the case bolts fell out ! No wonder it never spooled straight !!! As it wasn't assembled properly from the git go. Had a job where I needed it for a few days , yarned out the line and hooked up. Started the Powerhead and it wouldn't draw in. Double mad and disappointed. Dropped the winch off at the mechanic. Oddly enough an older used model Lewis popped up at the saw shop for sale. Bought it and did the job. Sold it after. Mechanic dropped off the new one the next week and said he took it all apart and can't see a problem. (Didn't even charge me). Wish me luck as I mounted the power head and will try it yet it again today. If it works I may sell it , or keep it for the specialty jobs. If it doesn't work I'm going to sell it "as is" probably at the saw shop. I'm thinking the older ones are better than the new ones.

I believe that there is a keyway/ shear pin of some sort on Lewis Winches.

A long time ago, a guy told me how he was pulling a big backleaner away from a waterfront house. Something quit. Had it partially tipped all weekend, waiting on a part.

I used the hell out of a Lewis winch on a 372 for two years at conversation Corp.

2 rock bars in tandem driven in with sledge hammers as an anchor.

The shear pin is made of bologna. I blew through a ton of them.

Seriously beef it up with something else... like a nail.

We pulled whole hillsides of pampas grass with a winch and electric spade...for days and weeks on end forever.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been using the hell out of me new portable winch, and have noticed that the pulling is much smoother set up in a 2:1, slower but much smoother.

Deva, didn't remember you were a CC guy. California Conservation Corps? Nevada CC, here. Some work in Lake Tahoe, California, where I first spurred up a tree for a bridge-building skyline.

Nice Sean.

Greg Liu runs a course for the C's up there.

I was a stuporvisor for 2 years at the Marin Converstion Corp.

Firefuel redux, trail construct, lots of tree felling, plant restoration, creek restoration, rough carpentry... pretty fun gig.

For 15/hr with great benefits...and the corpmembers are the real challenge...getting them trained and proficient and motivated to achieve projects was a greater challenge.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems to work fine now , have it hooked to a 576XP (dedicated power head). Prefer muchly the direct drive over the chain drive. Will keep it , that's a good idea for anchor where there's no trees or stumps.

Just pound them in at a 45 angle opposite of your yarding.otherwise they flip/bend/cut through dirt.. easier to hit with a sledge that way too.

Back