New ported 550 XP!! and other saw testing

rbtree

Climbing Up
Here's the video. I have two more 338 XPT's to get running... I finally have all but one part needed. Both of them will be faster, for sure, than either Husky in this video. I'll do another vid, and compare them with Pat's old stock 201T. It won't be pretty for the 201....

Thanks, Mitch. Love the saw. I expect it will pick up a little more as it breaks in. We've only run about four tanks through it so far.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uOhGr0WPIpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow Roger: Thanks a ton. Man, why the heck don't you like your 335? (Or did I misunderstand you?). That pig was killing it. Yup, your 338 is pretty messed up. Any light as to what the prob. is? Man, I have NEVER seen a 192 cut like that. Who ported that pig!? I wouldn't have dreamed of buying one of those pigs till I saw yours. Both of your mid-sized Husqvarnas were killing it also... the guy who did that work is a saint. I suck at porting, but still do it because I can't resist the possible gains. Look: we live so close to each other. Why don't I bring my self-modded (copying Brad Sneller's work) 201t over (or please know that you're welcome at our place for dinner out in Snoqualmie any time!) and we could do a bit of top-handle, cut testing. I'm anxious to find out whether my 201 (timing advance, carb mod, and muff mod) will beat a 540 with only a muff mod. Don't know anybody with a 540 do ya? (and would he mind if I rammed a hole in his muffler?) :lol: I'm pretty proud of the modded 201. Man, that pig has sooooo much torque--way more than the 200--that I really doubt if any other top-handle could even come close. It just sucks that the bone stock ones suck so bad.

B.t.w. What kind of rotten logs were you sawing on? Big leaf? I didn't recognize it. Must be a weird west-side removal... they've got so many weird, introduced trees over there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was rotten hemlock, Jed.....

I'm sure Pat would like it if you'd fix his 201T. I've told him about Brad's mods.....I'd also would like to have you help me advance the timing on my 338's....I'm quite sure it will help them.

That test was the first time running that 338, which I'd got for $150.....piston looks good thru exh port, plyg color was good. First thing I'll do is pull the carb and clean it, maybe switch it out with another carb. Could be a boot problem? I dunno, thought those early carb boot problems were a thing of the past.

In past comparisons against my other two, now stolen 192's, and 335/338/2139 saws, (also stolen) the 192's were never that close in speed. I don't like that old 335 Cali, only because it takes some elbow grease to crank over---all the new saws have a built in comp release....and the 45cc Cali's are notoriously hard to crank, sans that built in comp release.

The 357 quit running, on the big poplar job we did Thursday. I sure hope it's something simple, as I freakin love that saw. And I really hope Mitch sends back my 346 soon. He's putting a ring in it, honing it to bump the compression back to where it was when treesling'r ported it for 54% gains over stock !! and has installed a new crank to replace the broken one...a first for me in 39 years of cutting! I doubt the 550 will be as fast!!! But I do love it.

Hey, was treesling'r that guy on AS years ago (timber cutter from nor-cal) who had that hopped up 460?

Anyway: about the timing-advance. I'd have been--just from watching Sneller's vid) too intimidated to try it had Randy (mastermind) not practically walked me through it over the phone for free. (Coolest guy) But, on the 201, it's the easiest thing in the world, cause all you do is knock the flywheel off so that you can grind the keyway out a hair so as to rotate it back (counterclockwise) eight degrees. Man, it zips em' pretty good, but I don't know about a 338. I do know, that you'll actually LOSE a bit of top-end on a 200, so there must be some difference in the ignition modules or something; but the 338?... I hope I haven't made myself out to be some kind of saw-tech or builder guy. I'd be reluctant to try to zip Pat's saw, just because it's used, and could have other issues that someone like me wouldn't detect. I only did mine, because it was brand-new out of the box (the shop bought it for me) and I knew that they sucked. But it screams now, with the three mods. Too bad the plastic is falling apart all over it.

Man, I don't know... are you ever out this way? It's so easy, that you could do it yourself in about an hour, but it'd be great to feed you dinner if you wanted to see exactly what I did to mine. Then I suppose we could wood-test the advanced 338 over the other one--provided they were both running right. :/:

Hemlock?!!! You'd think I'd know what a Hemlock looks like! :|:

Man that 338 has issues. Shouldnt be bogging down like that in those small cuts.

I just replaced a boot on a NE new edition. Pics here somewhere. Also rebuilt carb etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the video. I have two more 338 XPT's to get running... I finally have all but one part needed. Both of them will be faster, for sure, than either Husky in this video. I'll do another vid, and compare them with Pat's old stock 201T. It won't be pretty for the 201....

Thanks, Mitch. Love the saw. I expect it will pick up a little more as it breaks in. We've only run about four tanks through it so far.

Update and new video. That 338 got adjusted by Keith but still was the slowest of my three (till a couple parts come in for my 4th, now all put back together, with new bearings) 338's. Then we noticed that its throttle linkage cable had been changed to something cobbled together...to the point where it's not getting full throttle opening. So Keith has it, waiting for the part. Here's a new video, of my newest 338, after I replaced the case, which I'd stupidly smashed by lowering the dump bed onto it...... Video is with the new 63PS chain on it and Pat's 201, which I knew would get badly spanked. That said, it should be faster than that, even stock as it is. Something's wrong, I'd say. But I'd put the ported 338 up against any stock 200T or 201, and expect it to be faster. Not bad considering it only takes a bit of brazing to mod the muffler, and I have obtained three of these saws for the price of one 540 or 201T.

http://youtu.be/k1EFa7XvozA

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k1EFa7XvozA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uOhGr0WPIpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back