Need to Find Wound Sealer in Gray

Old Monkey

Treehouser
One of my guys tried to make a pruning cut on a crabapple in one cut. Needless to say it tore out. It of course is right on the front side facing the street. I remember buying tree sealer in gray back in California, it may have been Treekote or it may not have been. I need to try make the wound less obvious. Later I'll need to find where I can find some thumb screws to deal with the employee who did it.

If any of you know where I can find some please let me know. Thanks.

Whatever color sealer you find, a good chance that if you put a little black cement dye powder in it, the color will turn gray.

Sears Weatherbeater Ultra II Exterior latex holds up best on dead trees... aka household trim... I'd make sure to let the area dry for a little while otherwise adhesion would be pretty sketchy at best...

I saw some larger pruning cuts recently that looked very good. Instead of a straight cut across and leaving it, the person also made some faceted cuts around the edges toward the center. Then they sealed it. It had a rustic like effect that is really quite nice. I never saw that before.

The tree cares little about what cuts we think look good. The tree cares about being able to compartmentalize the wound. I'm not envisioning the faceted cuts, but I'm thinking they probably violated the branch collar.

I don't think so, the person left a little longer stub that might have been otherwise. The effect was a softening one over just a straight cut. Subtle, bit it still really caught my eye in an interesting way. The sealer was orange, so it was more noticeable than might have been otherwise.

Save the sealer, use dirt.

Grab a handful of dirt, and rub rub rub. You can even make a mud pie like Martha Stewart and rub it in.

Watch that wound disappear and let the tree do what it does best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We've used this stuff for a long time for stuff like that, or when we make a cut thats out in the open and the homeowner wants it duller so there isn't a giant white 'eye' looking.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=27&item=1381

What color does it dry?

I know lots of shortcut ways of covering a mistake. A certain amount of what happens now is performance. They are long term customers who are big on their landscape. I want to make a good show of it. Exterior paint might work fine but would do little to mollify them.

Why is it that when the bosses back is turned and no matter how many times you show someone how to cut at the collar... They try to short cut with one cut tearing it constantly. I swear there are days a buggy whip would be handy.

Darin, Doc Farwell's heal and seal is a product I have considered in the past. There is a white tree paint and greenish heal and seal. latex based wound treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice, thanks. My wife is the enforcer, she asked "Did you yell at him." I didn't yell or rage, I rolled with it. He knows I am displeased. It's more of a passive aggressive thing but he knows I am not happy about it. The wife thinks I should have fired both my employees by this point, hearing about all their flubs. It takes a long time to train guys up.

Save the sealer, use dirt.

Grab a handful of dirt, and rub rub rub. You can even make a mud pie like Martha Stewart and rub it in.

Watch that wound disappear and let the tree do what it does best.

I agree with you on this. Dirt, some dryed leaves, rub on the cut to show wear.

Back