Need my first "big saw" advice on ms46x's?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
:beerchug: New restaurant name: “bars and brews.” Chainsaw bars that is 😁

Skwerl I guess my concern is buying a saw then just really needing more. When it comes to spending $800, jumping to 1100 at that point isn’t a huge emotional deal to me (probably should be). If I were to only have two saws, my top handle and a bigger saw for felling at most a 36in tree but also being light enough to work the spar down if need be. Eventually I would buy more saws but for the next year or so I would like to buy just one more saw. Trying to buy a house in 1.5 years
Buying the right saws for the job, they earn their keep.

3 saws is a minimum for real work, imo.

I started with a 192t and 361.
261 and 461/ 462 would have been way better.
The 361 is now powering my capstan, 14 years later.

261 you can get by with a half-wrap.
461 get a full-wrap. Way better in the tree, imo. Definitely on the ground.

Yeah Sean, that’s the consensus I’m getting. Y’all have given me many great options but I think my combo will be just that. The new 462 and 261. Probably start with the 462 (honestly cause it would be fun to run a new saw and bring something new to the table). Then I will get a 261 when the time warrants.

I've got two Husky 365 Special's that have an ungodly amount of hours on them from walking around 36 inch vertical trunks aloft.

They are both over 20 years old and still run on the original piston n cylinder!

Indicating how meticulous I am about maintaining my saw's between each tank of gas.

Jomo

If I had a real husky dealer near me I could be considering some of there options but even with all the stihl and echo dealers near me it’s hard to find a solid one of each. I’m a fan of not having all the electronics (love them in cars, don’t like the increased failure chance of some of the saws. I rip my top handle apart after every day and clean it up. Eventually I’ll take the started cover off and make sure it’s cleaned up. I run all tru fuel with my saws

@TINYHULK

I have followed this thread with interest, and I think you really should consider finding a good condition used Stihl MS361. I run a 25 inch bar on mine, and it handles that with sufficient authority to be satisfying. With a 20 inch bar, it is a beast. And it is not over the top demanding to run in the tree, on spurs or rope.

Just my thoughts. Worth every penny you paid to read 'em :D.

Thank you burnham for your interest and time. I was thinking about going to a saw in the middle. What would be a fair price for a used 361?

There's a moral to that story Burnham.

All the guys I've carted off to the ER in this biz cut themselves with an 044.

Just enough midsize power to underestimate.......

Wear your chaps Cowboys!

Jomo

Where would be the best places to find used saws for sale? Not much of a market for that around me

Facebook seems to be where the cool kids are. I'm not a cool kid, and won't use facebook under any circumstances :^D

I don’t use any social media. But even then I can look up on Facebook market place in my area and still no good options lol

Craigslist seems to suck around here. Not many saw options. They're all flakes too. I've inquired about stuff a few times, and no one's ever gotten back to me.

I saw a echo 7310 up there with a 28in bar. Guy said he only used it 7 times and needs money. There was also a ms362c that was very new and at 699 with 25in. There possibilities but check out this old saw C76D5F38-B3AD-43C0-95DA-6743BF29801F.png

Not an endorsement from me, for true. But here in my market area, Oregon and Washington, I see saws on offer from time to time that seem viable to inspect. Nothing further do I know.

Back