My 346xp excitement!

treesandsurf

Treehouser
I think I read a post a while back about someone being dissapointed with the husqy 346xp's. There's 10 of them at the arboretum and I've been using them quite a bit. I have to say I like the little saws. Considering putting a bit bigger bar on it (I think it is running a 16 or 18" right now). Thinking of going to a new 20" bar and chain setup. But overall, nice light little saw with a decent amount of power.

Mostly the fact that it is so light hiking it up hills has been a major plus.

jp:D

I like them a lot, I own three. I think that a 20" bar would reduce their biggest assets, high chain speed and a nimble feel. The 346 is a peaky motor and doesn't make much power at lower rpm's. It will be much less desirable if you put too long of a bar on it.

I run 18's on all three, but none of mine are stock. All three have been ported, one by Dan Henry, one by Dave Neiger and I'm expecting my newest one from Ed Heard in the next week or two.

I've also run a couple of stock models and they do great with a 16" and ok with an 18". If I were running one in stock form I'd put a 16" on it. This motor loves to rev and will spin over 15K all day long. But if it drops under 10K then it falls flat.

This year's version has a new jug and piston. They bumped the displacement to 50cc and the porting is much different. Ed tells me that it has more torque at lower rpm and doesn't rev up as high as the previous motor. I think he said it's limited to 14,100 rpm. I'll be able to tell you more after I get the saw.

Several of the local tree services have found this saw and it is gaining popularity. We also have a couple reputable dealers who have picked up the Husky line (after a 15 year drought) so local availability is improving.

You can thank me for those 346's Jon. And the 200T. And the 372. And the 361. And the 088... :D

I was the one less than impressed with the 346. It sure made someone else happy though, so I guess it's perception. Glad you like youre's:)

I bought one a couple of years ago and set it up with a 20" bar for my Dad. i ran a few tanks of fuel through it before giving it to him and diusmantled a big Cottonwood with it. I was really impressed with its capabilities with the 20 " bar and thought it was the nicest non tophandle saw for duties aloft that I ever used.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can thank me for those 346's Jon. And the 200T. And the 372. And the 361. And the 088... :D

Hey, don't forget the GRCS! 8)

How in the world you convinced them to buy 10 of those 346's is beyond me, but I guess I'll never be without a saw :lol:

The only one I ever saw was Woodsjunkies.Fast would be an understatement as it had been enhanced quite a bit.

That little saw,along with few others surprised me.I didn't know little saws could cut as fast as some of them did.

the smallest ground saw i've used is my wee 353g. its on .325 semi chisel chain. compared to teh 357s on 3/8 full chisel we run at work its slow. but light and nimble

Jamie

460 puts it in the dirt.
It's like when somebody says, "Geez, my 025 really earns its keep." That's great. Now buy a commercial saw.
TC3 is a right bitch when it comes to proper equipment. You're a side-jobber ? Good for you... tell us all about the sub-quality gear that gets your job done. I'm all for paying less & getting a quality job done.
Rip me a new one.

Over the last few years I've paid between $200-$250 per saw plus shipping. All the builders I've used have been fairly consistent in their pricing. Or to put it in better perspective, about what the saw can earn me in a half day.

From Hawaii, I'd be asking Roger and the other west coast sawyers for a good builder on that side of the country. Shipping an extra 3000 miles can add substantially to the cost.

And TC, nobody was talking about the Stihl 025. Thanks anyway.

I've wanted a 346 for a while now. Which do I want .325 or 3/8?

TS

I've wanted a 346 for a while now. Which do I want .325 or 3/8?

TS

Tom, I've run .325 on the three I've owned so far. But this year they bumped the saw to 50cc and changed the port timing resulting in more torque at lower rpm's. On my newest one I think I'm going to run 3/8". Ed still has my saw, but the timed cuts he did with it indicate it's faster with 3/8".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I take it you noticed quite a difference in performance with the modd?

460 puts it in the dirt.
It's like when somebody says, "Geez, my 025 really earns its keep." That's great. Now buy a commercial saw.
TC3 is a right bitch when it comes to proper equipment. You're a side-jobber ? Good for you... tell us all about the sub-quality gear that gets your job done. I'm all for paying less & getting a quality job done.
Rip me a new one.

I would hope a 460 could outperform a 346. A peterbilt can outhaul my pick-up. :? When did the 346 become a homeowner saw? I like both of mine with .325 and 16" bar.

Erik, your's is getting lonely in my shed.

Yeah, I know. Time to murder some more trees and keep it company!

460 puts it in the dirt.
Rip me a new one.

TC3 was off her meds...
Sorry, everybody. Sometimes I'm so full o' shit my eyes are brown !!!
:/:
Please forgive my full o' shit post.
I luv y'all !!!

Back