MS462 C-M

I don't have one, but this is a pretty good summary from a professional logger on another forum...

I fall with the 462 , its has less vibration and the 572 is pretty good but the 462 pretty much has zero vibration other than whatever the chain makes . 462 is $200 more to buy here than a 572 . You guys in the USA are paying a lot more than I am for your 462's , I think your 572's are closer to what I pay here. 572 has more torque but there pretty close in power . I find the better you can file a chain the better the 462 does. The port timing on the 462 is very close to what a ported saw would use so as long as you keep the rpms up high they cut very well . 462 is lighter and if you use the light weight bars its like using a little 60cc saw but with 70 cc power . Neither saw will compare to the 395 and if anyone tells you they will its BS. But cutting all day I know I will not be carrying a 395 for falling and I donot care how big the trees are . I cut 36 inch average size timber all day long and I keep records of what I get done . Your going to laugh but my ported 562 cut me more footage day in on average than any other saw so far . I still have that saw and its cut well over 2 million feet but its ported pretty hard . Running say a 24 inch bar setup its very close to a stock 395 in cut times , Using the 28 inch setup the 395 is 2 seconds faster in frozen big red oak , stock 372 is along ways behind . So would I take a 462 over the 572 . At this point in time if I had to only own 1 saw I would go with the 462 , is it better than the 572 . No its not but I like the super light weight and no vibrations BUT I honestly believe the 572 is a tougher built saw and if your harder on your saws I would go husky . I get both from the same dealer so dealer support is the same

Here is me hotwoods ported 462c running against an originally “Tennessee ported 395”... As you can see the difference isn’t much with a 25” bar ... remember that is a Ported 395xp NOT a stocker ..with longer bars the 395 will walk it ... ... The 462c and 572xp cut about the same stock ... I have tuned intake on 462c so when hotwoods ported about 30% quicker with off roll chain ; 572xp about 25% with off roll chain BUT stock intake ... The 572xp can be made slightly stronger apples to apples ... The difference in times is maybe 1 sec thru a 22” log so not going to make a HUGE difference at end of the day but WILL absolutely destroy either 462c or 572xp in stock trim... I own both (462c and 572xp) and imho the 462c is a slayer with a 20” bar and the 572xp luvs a 24” bar ... A guy can’t go wrong with either ... The 462c is a quick revving saw whilst the 572xp has a bit more grunt down low due to its Longer 39mm stroke .... The 572xp is a smooth running saw for sure , full circle crank helps tremendously! price wise a guy can get a 572xp with wrap handle , large dogs and larger clutch cover for 800 PHO ... A 462c wrap version is considerably more expensive and to the best of my knowledge larger dogs / cover must be purchased separately ... also consider the 572xp has a “short block” available ... I’m a STIHL guy and luv me hotwoods ported 462c; the 572xp hotwoods ported saw is right there with it ! I don’t think a guy can go wrong with either IF he chooses the right builder! I’ve spent ALOT of time and $ to get these saws to bark - to the best of my knowledge either saw (462c or 572xp) will outperform every “known builders” offerings (17-22%) AND by a noticeable amount !!!

Last edited:
Yeppers ! Both saws perform well ... especially when built by yours truly :D

For a STIHL guy ... a ported 241c (NLA unfortunately) or ported 261c and a ported 462c make for a good 2-saw plan for a “terra-firma guy” like me ... Especially with 12-16 b/c for the smaller displacement and 20-32” b/c for the 70cc class ... For those that prefer Husqvarna ported 550xp and 572xp with same b/c as above will work nicely imho ... In my Locale these combos will cover 95%of your saw work with the occasional big silver maple requiring one to dust off the 660 or 395xp with 36” bars ...:headbang:

IF you aren’t using saws to make $ and just cutting farwood ya probably don’t NEED an 462c or a 572xp ; especially ported ones lol 😂! plenty of good running used saws that’ll get the job done for that application ... IF the goal however is a good hr/rate in ur pocket then run the BEST ya can afford !

Depending on the size of wood you’ll be cutting.

In the same way that Frankie eulogises the 462, I am similarly enamoured with the Husky 550.

Very light, very fast, very reliable, easier to use for extended periods than a 70cc saw

First on the truck every morning, first out of the truck when we arrive.

I have plenty of others right through the range, but the 550s are a dream.

Mick , haven’t got me paws inside a 550xp (not sure which version you use) but I’m sure they run well stock ... ported = animal ... after running ported saws I Wood NEVER go back to stockers !

I have 2 x Mark 1s dating back to 2013/4
Going to pick up a Mark 2 when I’m back in the Uk in a week or two.
I just remove the spark arrestor, don’t want too much noise.

A 462 is overkill for firewood imo, but it kinda depends. It's nice just having a nice saw, and that's worth something. The 462 isn't much heavier than the 362 staying with Stihl, so it makes sense to get the 462 imo. If you wanted to shave some dollars, I think echo provides the best bang/buck. My biggest is 40cc, so not really an all around firewood saw, but it runs like a dream, with plenty of power for its size. The echo 590 is the quintessential firewood saw. 60cc for ~$410. Less if you hit up the echo 15% sale.

550 mkII is amazing for a stock saw. I don't know how well the oil pump would keep up, but the engine should handle a 3/8 7t running 24" full skip no problem, or 20" 3/8 full comp.

I will say, though that I'd have a 390xp as my common firewood saw, but this is before the 572 came out. I prefer the fit and finish of Husqvarna lately over Stihl, and I've heard the 572 might be generally preferred over the 462. Stihl tends to not have much torque.

462c stock doesn’t have as much torque as the 572xp most likey due to engine design... 34 mm vs 39 mm stroke respectively ... IF a guy knows how to make them sing the 462c has diesel-like torque !

Actually, I have a 572 new in the box with 24" bar, I won't get around to using any time soon, if you want it Mr Black Smith.

I bought one in July for a backup during tornado cleanup. It was put into full use within the week. It has run hard every working day since. Bone stock and not an issue at all. I'm running a 20" most times and it rips. We did 10 cord of firewood with it in three days in oct. Buy one!

The 462 became my favorite saw soon after getting it. It probably is a bit overkill for firewood but that depends on size of wood and how much you cut. Mine gets used for most of my felling and bucking now plus hangs on my saddle for spar work or the very rare crane removal. It’s a great saw. I’m probably gonna get a second one pretty soon.

Love my stock 462...power when you need it with not too much weight, I run a 20" lightweight bar...would even consider an 18" to use on smaller jobs when my 260 is struggling a wee bit.
But for firewood the 260 range is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Y’all gonna laugh but I’ve been using a Husky 55 for the last 20 years to fell with. The 090 is great to fell and buck 36”+ trees but not on the slopes. I can’t run carrying the 090 as fast as I used to when Murphy’s law kicks in and I’m not gonna leave it behind. Husky dealers are few and far from me and mechanics are fewer, except for youtube and me. There’s 2 Stihl dealers/mechanics within 10 miles so that’s why I’m kinda leaning towards Stihl. I’ll still have to order chain online. These guys won’t carry skip due to liability issues (they say). Anyway, with this 462 C M, what’s the “C M” stand for? Some kinda fancy carb and electronics.?

C is for comfort. It's their av system. Not sure why it's particularly specified. Any decent saw, and most crappy ones have av now. M is for Mtronic. Their electronic control system. A lot of people don't like for reasons I don't quite understand. My best guess is it's due to possible early problems with the design. A real potential problem is if you have trouble with it, going to a Stihl dealer is mandatory. You can't simply work on the carb to get it right. It has to be hooked up to a computer running Stihl's proprietary software.

I like Mtronic a lot. It just works. Since I didn't get a manual with my first Stihl, and the dealer didn't tell me anything, I didn't know it even had a cold start procedure. I just pulled the cord, and it would fire after ~7 pulls. I now know it has a choke/fast idle setting that shaves a couple pulls off that for first start. It adjusts for cutting conditions, elevation, temperature, and cleanliness of the air filter. No monkeying around with carb settings. It Just Works®

Back