Move up the rear and rearmount her!

• Thread starter Jonseredbred
  • Start date
  • Replies 27
  • Views 4K
J

Jonseredbred

I just started another project here in the shop. I am taking a forestry type setup and converting into a short wheel base rearmount.

I just boxed in the back of the frame and added some stiffeners in the frame where the bolts clamp around the frame.

Attachments

• 101_1638.jpg
    101_1638.jpg
    843.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 101_1639.jpg
    101_1639.jpg
    838.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 101_1641.jpg
    101_1641.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 0821081350_0001_0001.jpg
    0821081350_0001_0001.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 271
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bought 4, gonna keep one as soon as I find the best one.

Its an old cotton mill built in the early 1800's. It is actually 2 stories tall with all that hand laid stone.

Yes they are all under CDL and I will rearmount them all. 2 short ones 86" cab to axle and 2 standard length.

When you mount the lift behind the rear axle you gain a bunch of working height by not having to work over the cab or chip box. The shorter, the easier to manuever and it lightens them up alot.

A lift/chip box combo is worthless doing residential tree work in my opinion. If you ever used a rearmount you would hate dragging that chip box all around with you.

Yeah, I've only ever done real tree work out of my Genie. Only flow 2 bucks, Mat 3 center/rear mount and a forestry Altec, both 75'ers.

Ooops, I fergot I ran Brian's old truck for 2-3 minutes to retrieve a throwbag I lost the day or two before.

When you mount the lift behind the rear axle you gain a bunch of working height by not having to work over the cab or chip box. The shorter, the easier to manuever and it lightens them up alot.

A lift/chip box combo is worthless doing residential tree work in my opinion. If you ever used a rearmount you would hate dragging that chip box all around with you.

I agree.

It's way better when you can back a dedicated chip truck and chipper into a much more ideal location for running brush through the chipper. With a chip box, you always end up dragging stuff around the back.

id much rather have 2 trucks and drivers. its nice having a back up on occasion when theres just a little more but hardly worth dumping. thats the rare scenario, wish id have gotton a rear mount

Willie, your Altec LB650 is easily rearmounted too.

ive actually looked it over and figured the same. need a set of rear out riggers. still havent painted my chip truck yet:dur: maybe ill tackle that some day

the 5.9 12valve is a little weak for all that steel. does fine empty at 22k pounds but a chipper and/or load of chips drags her down. prolly feel like a power house with out that box. love to see pics as the project moves along, specially if you run into unexpected problems

We have done a few of these before. Kinda cookie cutter stuff so I hope we don't have any problems.

This truck will get an extra set of outriggers also

what do you use to lift the boom and where do you lift from? seems the hardest part would be turning the boom around

We are gonna have to have a crane come in. Rig it around the base with a tether out to the knucles to keep it level.
Drive the truck out and then back it back in the other side. Easy peasy as they say.

id love to see pics of the rigging when you do it and if the crane has a scale what the weight of your boom assembly is

Back