Monday afternoon meeting. High five!

Doing work at rentals and working for property owners/managers can indeed be a mixed bag. We're pretty selective about that type of work -- and like Brian, refuse to sell ourselves short. We do high quality, no compromise work -- and without a bucket truck, that means climbing time and hard work. But you can find some property owners that value your services and stop shopping around, using you as their go-to tree company for all their properties. Just don't work for a slum lord!

One benefit about rentals is that usually the owner isn't there, it's just a renter, so you aren't subject to every nit and whim of a homeowner. You can just blow through the work at a rapid pace, without feeling like you have to spend a certain amount of time there -- just meet the objective & be gone. It might be a good stepping stone gig for you to build up your own business and equipment, so it could be a decent paying, mutually beneficial arrangement. Just don't enter into it like a work camp where you have to get everything from the company store and become a virtual slave!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
^^^Yes sir! ^^^ I'm tracking. I am not going to be abused anymore. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts guys!

I still have to sub climb till this takes off. That is fine with me. I have a lot of good people to work with still.

I had gotten in good with a few good property managers. Weeded out the time wasting 'three quoters' and made solid working relationships with the 'just do it and bill me' ones. They're just customers, some are good, some are bad. But the advantage is a good property manager customer is repeat work. Where as many residential customers whether good or bad are just one offs.

Dan. Sounds like the start of a good thing. Hope it's smooth sailing for you.

Wow.... Workmans comp is going to be a little challenging. The liability insurance isn't so bad. I'm just a little guy with skill and a little knowledge. I am not going to quit. I know the knowledge is out here. Thanks guys.

Workmans comp.....

Damn. If its a pain in the ass just throw money at it. If I pay about $1500 I can be covered. If anyone pays around 1500 you are covered..... Oh wait YOU are not covered, but who ever you work for is. Its a work your ass off tax and you are not covered. Oh you dont like that? The other way is to try and guess what you are going to make and what you are going to pay your help. $1500 is enough for you people. I honestly hope that it benefits someone I don't know. High five people I don't know. ;

Yeah WC is a bastid. I’m getting more into that also. They want projected income but if that needs to be cut down it takes them forever to adjust. My boss will be paid ahead till winter before long because of this. Jan-April is our busiest time though.

Why would anyone do this to someone? Damn ambulance chasing people! I am getting a 1,2 policy and some "ghost" workman's comp. At least we will be legit enough for people to work us.

WC would cost me 1500 a year for the premium plus $9.18 per $100 payroll. That was my quote and rate for a new company staring out not covering myself only employees. WC is crazy expensive almost as high as commercial logging

Workmans comp..... If I pay about $1500 I can be covered. If anyone pays around 1500 you are covered..... Oh wait YOU are not covered, but who ever you work for is...
You're hitting on a key here, as far as structuring your business. Think it through to its logical conclusion... *wink*

Business card is fine (I do graphic design on the side). I would just keep "Tree Services" on the same line together and make the phone number bigger. But do you really need 2 numbers in different area codes? We use a telephone service that gives us a great, memorable number 430-4343 -- then it just forwards to an actual cell phone (the estimator). You could set it up to roll over to the 2nd number if the first is busy.

What do you think is the way to go Butch?

Just a basic layout. I am not buying this. We have work now..... My number is going to be a local one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I was asking. Thanks man. We want a good name. Most work is from word of mouth, so if someone asks for a card we want a good one.

Drink some beers this weekend and come up with something that people won't forget. Something funny and witty is always good imo :)

Locals here were/are. Town and Country tree service, horizon tree service, far above tree service, green giant tree service, etc, etc, etc. Pick a name, not initials.

Since most of my career has been working as a solo act focused on subcontracting (along with any referral work), I took the advice of a good friend when starting out. He asked me "What are you selling?" And the answer was ME. I am the business. So therefore my name should take the central location on my business card.

BRIAN SMITH
Arborist

address and phone number here at the bottom

Not saying it's right for you but it's worked for me for over 20 years now. I never thought of a card as a selling tool, just a way to deliver contact info to someone who is already interested. Nobody ever seeks you out just because they found your card. And if they do, they are more likely to waste your time instead of being a valued client. I've never believed in handing out cards like candy because all it does is waste paper and put my number in the hands of people who are more likely to waste my time. Especially these days with smart phones and digital records, few people want or need a card any more. Happy clients will text my number to their friends, no need for cards.

I used my name. Fisher tree service. And now that I sold the business I wish I hadn't, but I don't lose any sleep over it. It's a common name. Even if you think you may never sell out as I did. I kid you not the day may come. Choose a name that's easy to part with IMO.

I thought long and hard (wanted something with "A") for top billing in the now antiquated phone books. Looked through all my Tree books and made something up relative to the prefix "Altissima". It's worked well but hard to spell , often get shipping addressed to Christmas Tree. (Being Dave , I almost went for Davee's Tree Service but figured I'd get sued" ... I often have to define "Altissimus" for customers.

Back